Montie's babies are hatching!! *Updated with PICS*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

[​IMG] Montie's babies are hatching! This is her very first clutch and i am SO proud! plus she picked the 'cool' box to brood in, lol. this is the same girl that went broody on 33 chicken eggs (which i took away) and all but 5 finished hatching in the incubator! Here's the new momma and you can just barely see the first baby (still wet) under her left wing (right in the pic)!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  2. kylee2katie

kylee2katie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    congrats!! nothing like a new momma!!

3. javajanie

javajanie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Southern MD
    Such a pretty momma!

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

The first 3 babies are out and dried off, i collected them and brought them to the brooder, it felt liek a lot of wet babies under her but there could just be a few... here the first 3, they're all identical!

Apparently Chocolate + Silver = Lilac! [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    Beautiful Babies, and Momma too!

6. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    We have multiple nests hatching ducklings right now, among 6 females.

I haven't quite convinced myself they would be better off in the brooder - I'm hoping the moms can keep them safe and sound, though it's dreadfully complicated making sure they all have feed and water with each mother.

Decisions, decisions!

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

My problem is that they wanna haul them down to the creek as soon as theyre out of the nest and something gets them. We have also had a hawk around too, i think they're nesting near by so going into the brooder has been the safest thing for the babies. i wish i could let mommas raise them, it's be a lot easier, but i dont think i'd have such nice birds if i did either, lol.

I still have 6 girls on nests, my newest adoptee just started brooding, which i thoguht was kinda strange. she still gets spooked very easily by me walking past the nest and will bolt out of it right away. she is the first one to use the barrell nests i made just for them though!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by