Montville NJ ordnances?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by harlison, Nov 29, 2009.

1. harlison

harlison New Egg

Nov 29, 2009
    Hi. Great forum, seems yer all quite a friendly bunch. I'm thinking of starting a small farm on my property, but does anyone know about the laws in my area (Montville New Jersey)?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:[​IMG] from Washington

Couldn't find anything definative about the animal control regs for Montville. I think you should contact the animal control officers there, and get a copy of the regs so you set yourself up right. It minimises problems later. Also don't trust what they tell you. AC is often wrong. Get the actual regs. Or are there any small farmers near you that could answer your questions?

Good luck with the farm and let us know how it goes.

Imp

3. bjerols

bjerols New Egg

Apr 21, 2014
    Montville, NJ
    Did we ever find out? I see the town ordinances are posted online now but I couldn't figure out if chickens are allowed or not:

http://ecode360.com/MO0752

4. bjerols

bjerols New Egg

Apr 21, 2014
    Montville, NJ
    ok thanks to the Denville NJ thread I re-searched Montville ordinances for fowl instead of chickens and I think I found that it is ok as long as it is 25' away from the property line because I am in residential zone?

If anyone could read it and let me know if they agree with my assessment that would be great!

http://ecode360.com/12153582?highlight=fowl#12153582

§ 230-143
    Right to farm.

Permitted uses. All uses and structures customarily incidental to agriculture shall be permitted accessory uses in all zones, including but not limited to:

(13)

The raising and keeping of farm animals, including pets, pastoral farm animals (dairy and beef cattle, sheep and goats), swine, fowl, horses, ponies and mules, provided that proper sanitation standards, and the following minimum acreage limits and boundary sizes between fencing or enclosures and adjoining properties, are established:
    (a)

Quadrupeds shall not exceed the following ratios of animals per acre: cattle, one per acre; horses, one per acre; and sheep or goats, four per acre.
    (b)

All farm animals shall be confined to fenced enclosures or buildings meeting the setback requirements of § 230-164B.

§ 230-164
    Commercial stables and arenas for equestrian activities.

For commercial stables and equestrian stables and arenas for equestrian activities, which may include the boarding and breeding of horses, the following conditions shall be met wherever permitted in Part 4:

B.

Horses shall be confined to fenced enclosures or buildings. Fenced enclosures shall be at least 10 feet from a street, 25 feet from a residential property line and 10 feet from all other property lines.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by