Moody pullet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Attack Chicken, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I went out to the pen today to let the girls and the boy out. I bent down to pet my roo and one of my leghorn girls came over and got the skin on the back of my hand right by my thumb and twisted it!! She barely tore the skin but it still hurt. So I reached out to pet her and she jumped up and tried to spurr me!She doesn't have spurrs but her nails got me. I grabbed her up quickly and walked around with her under my arm for about 10 minutes. She's been the sweetest girl. I don't know why she did this, was it just a bad day for her?

2. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    bump

3. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Our OE Bantam gal is like that...was allways our sweetest (and smallest) Bird-- then suddenly got moody...

it is probably hormones! Shortly after our gal did this she turned into a little egg-laying machine! She pops out an egg a day!

Tho you also gotta watch for her getting "Broody" as that is what ours has now done!

She laid an egg- and even though it had rolled out of the box and sat in the hay till VERY cold-- she wouldn't leave the nestbox!
    SO-- we waited until another hen laid an egg (watched the process for the 1st time!) and gave it to her to sit on . We then brought her into the house, egg, nest, and all!!
    She loves being back in "her old room" and has settled into being fed and pampered....but won't leave that egg!!

So your gal MAY have real strong mothering instincts... and be "bonded" to the other Bird! Most of ours have pretty much "Paired up" by breed all on their own.

4. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    She's a leghorn which I didn't think they went broody? I kind of hope she does though. Anyone ever had a leghorn go broody on them?

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have had a chicken give me a good peck on one of my hands or my feet when I'm out in their yard giving them their morning treats. Ouch! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    It's always the innocent ones that get you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by