moorkop/moorhead in America

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ccshambhala, Mar 3, 2012.

1. ccshambhala

ccshambhala Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
    Are there any chickens available in moorkop or moorhead coloring in America? I know from feathersite that several breeds come in this coloring - altho the only one I can think of right now is Polish....
    thanx...

[​IMG]

2. Meara

Meara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    Good question. I think that is a cool color. I vaguely recall someone working on project silkies in that color... You might try asking in the silkie thread.

3. ccshambhala

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
    thank you Meara! I am not much of a silkie fan... but I will keep looking :)

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You mean black crested/headed white?

5. ccshambhala

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
  6. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Moorkop is simply caused b a Partridge, Birchen or Duckwing based color with a Beard. Beards and Muffs are always Black on e+, E^R, and eb based colors (except Columbian and Ginger). For example, one of the Owlbeards on feathersite is just a Muffed Silver Spangled color

7. ccshambhala

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
    While I am sure your post was intended to be helpful Ducks & Banny - I did not find it such. I completely disagree as to the silver spangled coloration as well.

Anyone know if moorkops are avail in america?

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Moorhead is caused by the cha gene, if I remember correctly...I have partridge silkies and crosses with red and gold heads and dark breasts. Silversilkie is the one breeding moorhead colouring.

9. ccshambhala

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
    thanx sonoran silkie [​IMG] - but when I looked silversilkie up they are in Belgium [​IMG]

anyone know of anyone who breeds for moorkop coloring in America?

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

Well, you specifically said you don't care for silkies, so what breeds ARE you interested in? Breeders tend to focus first on breed and then on variety. Yes, he is in Belgium, but he has a lot of knowledge, and is passionate about his birds, their breeding and genetics, and can answer a lot of your questions very knowledgeably. He may (I don't know) know of US breeders that would fit your wants.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by