Mooved 'Broody Momma" and she broke and egg...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fishnet1971, Aug 8, 2011.

1. so sad. My first time with a Broody hen, I only let her have 3 eggs, I moved her out of the high up nest last night at day 14. She was NOT a happy hen. I know I waited to long to do this. I wasnt exaclty sure what to do. I thought they took 28 to hatch, so i planned it real carefully as to when to let her have her 3 eggs. Make sure I was home, etc. Long story short, the idiot that i am find it to only be 21 days till hatch. I will be on vacation on day 20 and 21. I was going to cancel my vacation, but couldnt. So i decided to move her into her own area so that she was on the ground in her own safe place to hatch. That way if she hatched when I wasnt home, they were ok.

It took her what seemed like forever before she settled back on the new area nest. unfortunatly, she broke on of her 3 eggs. I feel so bad. If I wouldnt have moved her, or would have been smart enough to move her earlier this wouldnt have happened. I lookded at the egg inside and it only had a pea sizec embryo (i think) in it. but still, I am bummed. how far along should the chick be at 14 days?

call me the chick killer.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. TammyP

TammyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    SW Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

Don't feel bad....it's part of the process of learning. Cheer up....you got 2 left!! [​IMG] Also, according to the pic above.....it should be larger than a pea size.

So if it helps any, just know that it probably wasn't developing properly and wouldn't have made it even if it did hatch.

Blessings,
    ~Tammy
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  3. that's GREAT!!!! nope, it wouldnt have hatched. thats an awesome chart. thanks for sharing it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by