1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mooved 'Broody Momma" and she broke and egg...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fishnet1971, Aug 8, 2011.

1. so sad. My first time with a Broody hen, I only let her have 3 eggs, I moved her out of the high up nest last night at day 14. She was NOT a happy hen. I know I waited to long to do this. I wasnt exaclty sure what to do. I thought they took 28 to hatch, so i planned it real carefully as to when to let her have her 3 eggs. Make sure I was home, etc. Long story short, the idiot that i am find it to only be 21 days till hatch. I will be on vacation on day 20 and 21. I was going to cancel my vacation, but couldnt. So i decided to move her into her own area so that she was on the ground in her own safe place to hatch. That way if she hatched when I wasnt home, they were ok.

It took her what seemed like forever before she settled back on the new area nest. unfortunatly, she broke on of her 3 eggs. I feel so bad. If I wouldnt have moved her, or would have been smart enough to move her earlier this wouldnt have happened. I lookded at the egg inside and it only had a pea sizec embryo (i think) in it. but still, I am bummed. how far along should the chick be at 14 days?

call me the chick killer.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. TammyP

TammyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    SW Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

Don't feel bad....it's part of the process of learning. Cheer up....you got 2 left!! [​IMG] Also, according to the pic above.....it should be larger than a pea size.

So if it helps any, just know that it probably wasn't developing properly and wouldn't have made it even if it did hatch.

Blessings,
    ~Tammy
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  3. that's GREAT!!!! nope, it wouldnt have hatched. thats an awesome chart. thanks for sharing it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by