Mopey weak chick? What can I do

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by XSCHICKS, Aug 31, 2014.

1. XSCHICKS

XSCHICKS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2014
    NH
    Ok I'm new to this , my first chickens I purchased 12 pullets from local feed store. The second day I unfortunately lost one little nugget :(. It was eating and drinking but not moving around as much as the others. I have had them 7 days now and my favorite little one is sleeping alot and not as as active as the others this is also the one that still has the embilical cord still there the bum is ok and it is pooping brown like the others the temp is about 92 in the brooder. I noticed when I just cleaned the space all the others where running to the opposite corner and this one was just staying put no matter how close I was. Whet I picked it up its legs seemed weak and it keeps going over to the corner and sleeping? Am I stressing for nothing or is this normal at times?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry for your loss![​IMG] From the pictures, it looks like your chick has pasty butt. This can make them weak and lifeless.

To treat it, take your bird to the sink and, with gloves, wash the poop off with warm water using your hands to scrub it. Then apply either vaseline or coconut oil to the vent and put her back. You will probably have to do this several times before it goes away completely. Also, you need to put some sugar or ACV in her water. (Only a pinch of sugar.)

If you don't see her drinking, dip her beak in the water. Make sure she stays warm and hydrated.

You may also want to ask here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck!

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry you lost a chick and that another one is having problems. I agree with Mountain Peeps that your chick has pasty butt. She has given you some good advice on treating it. If you want a second (or third) opinion, do post on our Emergency section and take advantage of our experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. I hope your chick recovers swiftly. Good luck with your chicks.

4. XSCHICKS

Aug 31, 2014
    NH
    Thank for the reply the actual bum is clear but it still has the ebilical cord and some of the poop falls on it. The other chicks the cords are pretty much gone but this one still has it . I was told you have to be careful not to mess with the actual cord? I have also put some plain yogurt on a plate with some feed on top but I wasn't sure how often they should have this? She seems to eat and drink but just not as active as the others or like she was

5. Mountain Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    That's good that she eats and drinks. You can give her some yogurt every day. Don't overdo it though.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Could you post a clear closeup of her "bum: so we can determine what is what? Sometimes what looks like remnants of the egg sac is something else - a prolapse of some sort.

As to the Acv - is Apple Cider vinegar in the water. I don't know the dosage for very young chicks but, you could PM whoever gave you that advice. Hope she will be better soon.

Pasty butt may have been the reason for the previous loss. How old are the chicks now.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  7. Mountain Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    You should use a little less than one teaspoon for a quart of water.

8. XSCHICKS

Aug 31, 2014
    NH
    Ok here is a close up of her little bum before and after I thought it was part of the cord but it was poop stuck to fuzz under the vent. I also added a pinch of sugar to the gallon water container .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. XSCHICKS

Aug 31, 2014
    NH
    I posted some pics of close up bum they are about 8-9 days

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

That is not pasty butt. Sleepy lethargic chicks usually indicates coccidiosis. 2 teaspoons of Corid in a gallon of water for 5-7 days will take care of coccidia.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by