Moral Conundrum -- The "Bartering Eggs For Coffee" WILL HAPPEN!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by dangerouschicken, Jun 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Our family is attempting to eat all our own homegrown foods in July, August, and September. Our garden will be at its peak, the fruit will be harvested or ready to harvest, and the meat chickens will be ready to butcher. Anything we cannot provide for ourselves must be grown at a local source.

Here is the moral conundrum: what to do about things like oil, coffee, lemon juice, baking powder, salt... lots of basic things that are not usually from our area. Does anyone have a recommendation of what to do in these cases? Has anyone else tried to be self-sufficient and run across this dilemma?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  2. petlove

petlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2008
    Skiatook, OK
    Even in the old days one had to go to the general store for basic supplies. I say, go shopping.

3. Sonia

Sonia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma
    Do you have a local mom~n~pop type store? Instead of buying things at big name stores that at least would make your spending benefit your local community.

4. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Quote:Those two statements are simply incompatible.

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:You are lucky you are a sweet, fun, & smart little treehugger or I would be all
    over this post.

Oil-grow sunflowers and press them
    Salt-Get seawater and remove the salt
    Baking powder-Ask Tiffanyh or Silkiechicken. Those girls are smart!!
    Coffee-Ohh, that's hard. Grow your own tea and switch over.

Love,
    PC

6. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Most folks who attempt to eat local have a few "gimmees" that they allow themselves. You might be able to grow lemons in some sort of a greenhouse situation. I seem to recall reading somewhere about folks even growing coffee locally - check out Google for this one. Then, I agree with Sonia. Find a local business that you can support to mitigate the importation of those needed items.

7. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR

Hence the title of this post [​IMG]

8. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire

Hence the title of this post [​IMG]

Okay, I'll rephrase it and try to be more simple and clear: If you want the things in your second statement, you'll have to break your "must be local" rule. If you insist on following your rule, you cannot have the things in your second statement. Pick one, you can't have both.

9. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I know! I know! I know! [​IMG]

I think we will have to break the rules, but shop at the local market. The prices are OUTRAGEOUS, but should all balance out since we will be making less shopping trips overall, and we won't have to drive as far.

Thanks for the good tips!

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Eating fresh is a challange. However it can be done. We have a mennonite/Amish market here. Most things are organic there. They carry wheatberries for grinding your own wheat for bread, etc. There are several eat local challenges and the idea is to NOT buy what is not in season etc. There is nothing wrong with buying what you cannot grow. Even pioneers bought flour, coffee, sugar, salt, etc.

I don't see the issue as long as you are not out buying corn on the cobb and watermelons next week that you know can't be grown locally and harvested at this time of the year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by