Moral dilema

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chick raiser, Feb 24, 2013.

1. chick raiser

chick raiser Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2013
    I found a hawk trapped in my coop. I have a small area that is used as "hospital", so i found it there. If I let it free will it return for food? What would you do?

2. DelcoChix

DelcoChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I'd release it. And then figure out how it got in and do the best I could to prevent it from happening again.
    Good luck...
    Oh yeah...I'd take some photos first:)

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Release it promptly. Figure out how it gained access to stop repeat by that birds. Hawk may have learned to stay clear from being stressed.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

What they said. And if a hawk can get in, probably so can just about any other predator, large and small. I'd be tightening up the coop/run.

5. Campine

Campine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2012
    I'd guess it learned it's lesson and won't want a repeat experience.

6. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Keep it in there and make friends...Lol, that would be my first instinct, but in reality you should let it go and do what everyone else has said...but, it is still entirely possible that I would have a pet mouse killing hawk machine in a few months...Lol. They are supposed to be smart birds...I would need some really thick gloves, and a hardhat, and protective eye wear...and lots of meat...
    Anyway, let it go so nobody gets in trouble.

Put up all the chickens in a building you know is secure and then let it go...that way it doesn't get a to go meal.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  7. chick raiser

chick raiser Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2013
    I will try to take some pictures tomorrow. I will call the local wild life authorities. They will look after him/her and let it free when its fit again. I hope Mr/Ms hawk will appreciate my help and won't come back here...

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If it isn't injured, just let it go. No reason to call anyone.

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I would sure release it - I think it would be so freaked out from being trapped, that particular bird shouldn't bother you again!!

10. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I had that happen. It was a coopers hawk in the run, then he went into the coup after the chickens. My wife acted fast and got the chickens out of the coup and the hawk was left trapped inside until I got home. I'll shoot most anything after my chickens, but not things federally protected. Too risky. That coopers hawk somehow found a ride into the next county. Since then it has happened again, this time it was a sharp shinned hawk, but he was released onsite and hasn't been seen back since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by