Moral Dilemma-Chicken

hooligan

Songster
12 Years
Aug 20, 2007
Arkansas
Ok so some of you knwo that I have a bantam in my house that I am trying to make a house chicken. This was one of the chickens that we took in bc the owner could no longer afford to feed them.
Part of me feels bad for taking her from the outside flock, even though she only ever hung out with the other bantam she came in with. Is this paranoia stupid or am I really doing her a disservice by taking her from outside.
Would it be better if I brought in the bantam she came with or just put her back out?
We are also treating her for scaly leg mites...just so you guys know
smile.png

Her pictures can be seen here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=311995#p311995

Last edited:
If it were me I'd put her back out with the others. I can't imagine any of my chickens being happy to live inside....but that's only my opinion.....I know there are those that disagree with it. Plus I can't imagine wanting to have to clean up after a house chicken......I'm always ready to get the chicks out to the outside brooder ASAP.

I agree with Katy. It would be better for her to have sometimg to scratch around in and bugs to eat and alot of folks say that chickens are very social with each other. It was sweet for you to bring her in to care for her and once you get those leg mites cured, maybe you should put her outside. Good luck
smile.png

We all know chickens are social creatures.

I think being alone is a cruel life for a chicken.
And I think chickens should be able to run around and scratch in the dirt.

That's what chickens do:

EAT, POOP, SCRATCH

Just my personal opinion, I'm not saying you're a bad person if you keep her in, but I would bring a buddy in for her to have some company.

This really depends on the bird. In general birds are flock creatures
and prefer to be with the flock. On the other hand some birds can do
just fine in a cage. Caged birds typically live a lot longer.

If you handle the bird and socialize it then she may prefer to be
inside with you.

Can we really define what "happiness" in a bird really is?

Maybe I'm prejudice because I have a Conyer alone in a cage
who is happy (I think) and I just put Jimmy my Buff Orp back in the
flock where he is being brutalized by the hens. He would definately
be happier back in the barn alone.

I agree with PC. Completely depends on the chicken.

One of my pullets, Jane, hated being with the flock. I tried to integrate her for 3 mos, and finally had to pull her out when she tried to roost in the run when it was 5 degrees outside. She hated being in there, and took every opportunity to try to follow me out.

Brought her inside, and she is so very happy! She layed her first egg in here with me, loves to walk around the house, and drink out of the dog bowl. She loves it.

That's temporary, though, since I have her with the chicks to go in a new coop in the spring. The three of them are a mini-flock (my preference, not hers!)

The rest of my chickens hate to be seperated from each other, though.

Meghan

I agree that she is the only one that can answer this for you. As she was not raised to being alone or maybe not even to have much human company she might not be liking it. However I had a Partridge Rock hen grew up in a large flock that was always beat up and a bit skinny, had to bring her in to solve an injury in the wet season and she quickly took over the house, loved to sit with us in the evening to watch TV, figured out where we 'roost' at night on about day 3 and joined us ever after that. She was diapered of course, and I though when she healed she would never be OK back at the barn. But I was wrong there too, she went back no issues, and never got picked on again, she stood up for herself now that she felt strong. The bond with her continued however, she came when called and liked to sit in my lap and just relax when I was done chores.

Other birds I have had to have in for injuries have clearly not ever fit in, so I assume they were not liking it.

I was considering house raising bantams and decided against it because I think it is unnatural. They belong outside I think I was being selfish wanting them inside with me.

jumpy.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

I am going to post this first and then respond to your posts, so if anyone can help they can be reading this while I'm typing the other.
So I caught the other bantam and decided to bring her in bc she also has scaly mites. Checked all other chickens and they were fine, even the standard that came with them.
Well I have treated both of them today and they are looking for scratch in the carpet but the first one I had in is making a shuffling dance around the other and grabbing her by the comb and attacking her off and on, why would this be happening?

Ok I don't think its cruel to keep chickens in the house. They have full roam of the living room and I have an area I put scratch in on the floor (have a blanket I put it on) so they can scratch about and forage.
However I do believe these girls will be going back out one their legs are healed. Unless something miraculous happens!
As far as chickens "belonging" out side the same can be said for ANY bird or animal for that matter. I think it just depends on the person and the animal.

Back
Top Bottom