Moral dilemma-UPDATE!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Lifetime chicken lover, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    My recently deceased little rooster was only recently acquired (about 3 weeks ago). He died protecting his flock from fox (coyote?). He was the only one they killed, though one of my hens is also injured.
    I got him from craigslist; this woman gave her little pet chicken to me for free, with a promise that I'd e-mail updates (pics, etc). I took a picture of him last week, and I'd like to send it to her. But do I tell her the fate of her little chicken? or do I leave her believing that her sweet little rooster is living out his days with his flock?
    What would you want if he was your chicken?

[​IMG]-[​IMG]-[​IMG]-[​IMG]-[​IMG]-[​IMG]-[​IMG]-[​IMG]-[​IMG]-[​IMG]-[​IMG]-[​IMG]
    UPDATE!!!!

Ok, So I e-mailed her the picture and a beautiful heroic story of her little bantum roo...
    And she offered me her little blue silkie roo!!!! What an amazing person!! She said that most people just want to send them to freezer camp so at least he had a good fighting chance!!! I just love it when human-kind surprises me!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Tough one.

I have given away cockerels this last year, and had two awful scares on a local forum when I read comments from some of the people I'd given birds to describing predator attacks and chickens killed (as it turned out, the birds killed were not ones of mine). I made the decision not to frequent that forum anymore, and emailed the people I gave my birds to and asked them not to inform me if something bad happened to my little birds. I just don't want to know.

The person who gave you the rooster asked for updates, so he or she may have a different outlook than I do. On the other hand, he or she may not have been thinking about the possiblity that an update might be the worst news possible.

I don't think you really can send a picture without explaining that there has been an accident. Either email the person and explain the sad news, or don't contact the person at all.

I'm sorry you lost your rooster. It sounds like he was a very good, brave little guy.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

ONLY because you promised her that you'd email with updates, I would give her the sad news. I'd even admit to her that you THOUGHT about not saying anything, because you felt so bad about it (because that's sounds like you really do regret what happened). It's too much stress making up tales... But I certainly understand why you'd consider it.

4. hchorselover

hchorselover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    aww! im sorry to hear about your rooster [​IMG] i think you shoud tell her because she asked you to keep her updated, but you should tell her how sorry you are I agree with teach1rusl you sould honestly sorry about what happened good luck!

5. littlestars17

littlestars17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Id ask her first, Send the pic and say as far as updates does she only want to hear good things?? when I listed my roos I put a note that I didnt want to know if something bad became of them..I ended up giving one to a friend so I get to see him often, but I would still be very sad if something happens, Sometimes its a risk we have to take

6. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    Thanks for the support. I wanted to tell her the truth, but my mom insisted that I shouldn't, that blissfully ignorant is better than such terrible news. I had intended to write his story accurately and make him out to be the little hero that he was. And tell her that his last days were spent happily free-ranging with his flock, and that his flock loved him and miss him terribly.

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:I'd tell her exactly this. And then I'd thank her for giving me a wonderful little rooster that did his duty right up to the end and saved your hens.

Sorry for your loss.

8. LyonFuzz

LyonFuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    I know honesty is the right thing to do, but what is the point of upsetting her? I don't know. It's a tough one. I guess I would feel better not upsetting the previous owner especially since she cared for him so much. Only a negative outcome this time from telling the truth:/

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Well, you promised updates. Does she have a way to contact you? Think how it would be if in a few months she emails or calls and asks how he is doing? You'll have betrayed her trust by not telling her. If there is no way she can ever initiate contact, then you can consider "losing" her contact information. But...

Many years ago my parents had our elderly dog put to sleep. I was in 4th ot 5th grade. He had a separate yard, so we kind of had to go out of our way to see him. They decided not to tell us until we asked. So about a week later I decided to go brush Boots, only he wasn't there. When I ran to tell my mother he was missing, she told me. Not only did I have to deal with grief, I had to deal with guilt that I hadn't noticed immediately that he was gone, and a sense of betrayal from my parents--that they couldn't be counted on. Fast forward to a dog of mine they took in when I was stationed overseas, and then kept after I returned. He was getting old, and occasionally when I spoke to them on the phone (they are in Texas; I'm in Az) I would ask about him. Not always, but fairly often. When he died, they did the same d*&n thing! And of course, it had been several weeks since I had asked about him. This time I let them have it... I asked if they were going to keep me in the dark if my aunt (eldest family member) or they passed away? Could I ever trust them again? I told them how I had felt as a little girl and that their not telling me was JUST. PLAIN. WRONG. Then I slammed down the phone and wouldn't talk to them for I don't remember how long.

10. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    I would tell her the truth. What if she wants to come out for a visit?
    Tell her how brave her little man was. Maybe you can offer to take her to lunch or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by