1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Morbid discovery

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by horseemom, Aug 23, 2008.

1. horseemom

horseemom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2008
    Vancouver Island CANADA
    It was horrible. I went to check my Pekins nest today and near the side of it I found a teeny tiny, though fully developed, dead duckling laying covered in stinky rotten egg. It was enough to make me want to vomit. I didn't realize at first what it was until I poked it, and thinking back I think I saw another blob like it a few weeks ago.

These eggs are due and nothing is happening. Her eggs have incubated in the past but this is her first sit. Why wouldn't they hatch? Hot weather? We began with 12 and they have been steadlily disapearing?? There was 4 yesterday, 2 today.

Would the parents destroy eggs that are not going to hatch? Do they know? They have been going missing since the beginning, I caught the dog eating one 3 weeks ago, fenced the area immediately.

I just want something to happen with the last 2. Hatch or disapear so we can get back to normal around here. Poor momma duck [​IMG]

Thanks, had to vent....... [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Perhaps rats or other night preds getting under and eating them? Sorry for the loss of eggs. First timers sometimes don't know how to do it "right" so that could be an issue too if eggs get chilled or something of the sort.

3. horseemom

horseemom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2008
    Vancouver Island CANADA
    Found another one today [​IMG]

The duckling had some yolk still so was not having hatching troubles at least. I figure the mom is emptying the nest. It was fine this morning and at 4pm I saw the duckling body out of the nest by the pond still in the membrane. Not as rotten and stinky. We were in the yard close by all day. I keep wondering if it was the sudden temp spike and drop we had here.
    As for the early ones disapearing, yes, maybe rats? I seemed "racoon like" as the shells were in the water sometimes but then the birds would be ruffled or hurt. Rats! Of course she nests in a bush! Well one more egg and we can put it all behind us and clear the construction fence from our yard. I guess I will stick to providing them for peoples incubators. Too heartbreaking. [​IMG]

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Rats are nasty. I would get an apple crate, and put a 2inch hole on one side. Then flip it over and under the box put a rat trap. I had a rat kill 5 of my one hens chicks, and 5 of another hens chicks. I killed 10 so far in traps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by