More About Treats for Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JenniferK, Dec 4, 2010.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    Northern California
    We have 5-day-old ducklings and I've been reading up on old threads to find out what kind of treats to give them, and spinach and other greens seemed to be a big favorite. I'm wondering if it's OK to give them things like egg, cheese, and bread -- our chicks always loved those. Also, is there a way to stroke them that they appreciate? They come to me like they want to be picked up, but they're so darn wiggly I can't tell if they like being touched, and they have a nasty habit of wanting to "perch" on my arm where they hunker down and look quite comfortable until they tumble off (I sit close to the floor!).

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oh, five days old, so sweet and tiny!

Have you read the sticky on treats? That is fairly comprehensive. There's a little caution about too much spinach interfering with calcium uptake. Also, there needs to be some (not too much) grit in'em so they can "chew" before they get treats.

My ducklings would wiggle for a bit when I picked them up, then some would settle down and some would start to thrash.

Now that they are nine months old, some of them let me pet their shoulders, backs or bellies. It depends on the duck and the day. Nothing says "I love you" to my ducks like chopped lettuce salad in water or thawed out frozen peas.

3. JenniferK

JenniferK Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Oh, I didn't know about the sticky post -- that was really helpful. Thanks!

4. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Quote:Yup - Duck soup= lettuce, thawed out peas and corn, bell peppers, carrot tops chopped up (not the peas and corn) in a Ziplok container filled with water.....duck heaven on earth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by