More aggressive male?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by flossyfelix, Nov 20, 2016.

1. flossyfelix

flossyfelix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2016
    Lumberton, North Carolina
    So lately my male Pekin has been acting way more aggressive...why? He & my female are mating, but I'm not leaving any eggs in the nest. He isn't being overly aggressive, just more protective over Flossy & his pool. Why is this??

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How old is he ?

3. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016

I honestly don't really know. He was already fully grown when I got him for my female. I think a little under a year- before molting he didn't have his Drake feathers. (he does now though)

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If he was juvenile, he may just be reaching his adult personality/potential. If he starts attacking or biting subordinate him. Place one hand on his back and the other on his neck and firmly force him to the ground. Hold him there until he stops struggling. If he comes at you again when you release him, repeat the process. Remember you are bigger and can defeat him. It may be all about dominance.

5. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016

Ok!! Thank you, I didn't know that. Is there way of really telling how old a duck is? I honestly don't know the age of either of mine; my duck was given to me a little over a year ago- when i got her she already had her white feathers & I just recently got the drake for her & like I said he was already huge & all white.

6. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016
    @sourland something definitely has to give. I went to go get them from the pond this evening to put them up & he ran up behind me & got my feet twice, then I was given them some cat food as a treat & while flossy was eating hers he got my arm!

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

He is young and becoming more protective of his hen.....As he matures he should calm down...Right now he sees you as a threat...Competing.....You only have the one Hen....Two more would calm things down with him a lot.....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by