More baby chicks - picture intensive post....UPDATED 9-13-07

2mnypets

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 11, 2007
Saucier, Mississippi
Well everyone, our family is doing it again! This makes the fifth time in six months that I've brought babies home. I think my total now is 51 chickens & chicks. Nope, I don't think we have an addiction problem at all....
lau.gif
The chicks and I have been home now for 30 min and they have eaten a lot, drank some water and some went to beddy bye land. Others are over in their brooder just talking away. Of course I took some pics and thought everyone would like to say "ahhh, they grow so fast" or "I can't believe mine were that small just a short time ago". I can make fun of myself because that's exactely what I was thinking when I picked them up at the post office this morning. In just two or three weeks these gals (and maybe a roo or two) will be moving up to the bigger brooder located in the chicken coop. For those that are curious what I got here it is:
4 Standard Blue Cochins (Pullets)
3 Assorted Standard Cochins (Pullets - looks like I have one splash, one buff and one partridge)
2 Standard Partridge Cochins (Pullets)
2 Red Crested Polish (Straight Run)
1 White Crested Black Polish (Straight Run)

100_3538.jpg

100_3537.jpg

100_3536.jpg

100_3535.jpg

100_3534.jpg

100_3533.jpg

Here's the WCBP
WCBP9-7-07.jpg

Here is one of the Partridge Cochin Pullets
Partridge9-7-07.jpg

Buff Cochin Pullet
Buff9-7-07.jpg

Blue Cochin Pullet
Blue9-7-07.jpg

Splash Cochin Pullet
Splash9-7-07.jpg

One of the Red Crested Polish
RC9-7-07.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. My hubby had been wanting the Partridge Cochins for some time now. I love the blue's of any bird or animal and I wanted to try the Red Credsted Polish and my little WCBP is a make up one for the one that died back in May of this year.

Nice pictures, they are beautiful. I like the individual pics. I've been scared to attempt that with mine, they want to run everywhere when I open the door and are quick little things. I'd be scared they would jump off the table :eek:

How do you get them to be so still and pose?

I think it was pure luck. The Polish chicks both started to run off but they ran toward my computer monitor away from the edge. After I picked them back up, and gently sat them where they were to begin with, they just stood still. Mind you it took quite a few shots from each chick and then I just chose the best one to post. I never imagained in a million years that I would be sitting here typing about all 51 of my chickens. My husband and I knew someday we would have chickens, but never in my wildest dreams did I ever think of a number. These little guys are so addicting. I want more as well as some ducks and guineas. Turkeys would be nice too. Out of my 3 kids, my middle one just doesn't like them at all. The other two are as addicted as my husband and I. To each his own I guess.

Here is some updated photo's of the chicks...they are now 5 days old and their wing feathers are just growing like little weeds. Such big personalities in such little form. Amazing to say the least. It's nice for a few minutes to think about them rather than one of my kittens that is failing. Hope you all enjoy them.

WCBP
100_3589.jpg

Splash Cochin
100_3588.jpg

Red Crested Polish
100_3586.jpg

Partridge Cochin
100_3584.jpg

Buff Cochin
100_3582.jpg

Blue Cochin
100_3581.jpg