more Blue Laced Red Wyandotte sex talk................

tmikem

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2021
I didn't want to hijack an idenity thead so hence a new one. Now being a total newbie to raising chickens I'm thinking I may have 2 cockerels(?). If that's the case I need to quickly re-home them, as roosters are not allowed here in city limits.
My birds are approximately 10 weeks old. The two girls/guys in question are Ruby and Ying. Ying is the larger of the two birds. These two will chest bump each and peck at each other then chase each other around the run. It appears to be more playful then any thing else. Yang and Maggie only occasionally participate and are more skittish in general. When I sit in the run with them Ying and Ruby will jump up on my thighs and talk to me. They let me pet them, then they just chill out until I finally have to put them down on the ground.
Anyway, back on point, my main concern is Ying and Ruby appear to be at the early stages of developing the vocal chords as in "crowing" associated with roosters.
And as always any and all input greatly appreciated.

Ying;
Ying.jpg

Ruby;
Ruby_2.jpg

Ying (left) and Ruby (right);
Ying (left) & Ruby (right).jpg

I didn't want to hijack an idenity thead so hence a new one. Now being a total newbie to raising chickens I'm thinking I may have 2 cockerels(?). If that's the case I need to quickly re-home them, as roosters are not allowed here in city limits.
My birds are approximately 10 weeks old. The two girls/guys in question are Ruby and Ying. Ying is the larger of the two birds. These two will chest bump each and peck at each other then chase each other around the run. It appears to be more playful then any thing else. Yang and Maggie only occasionally participate and are more skittish in general. When I sit in the run with them Ying and Ruby will jump up on my thighs and talk to me. They let me pet them, then they just chill out until I finally have to put them down on the ground.
Anyway, back on point, my main concern is Ying and Ruby appear to be at the early stages of developing the vocal chords as in "crowing" associated with roosters.
And as always any and all input greatly appreciated.

Ying;
View attachment 2772210
Ruby;
View attachment 2772216

Ying (left) and Ruby (right);
View attachment 2772220
Their combs and wattles are very large and red and their legs are thick-looking so I'd immediately think roosters both.

They are both fine looking cockerels. They look huge for 10 weeks old! If you need to re-home them, here is the link to that forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing.16182/

Sometimes folks get lucky in there and find someone local who wants their animals. Other suggestions are Craigslist and asking about putting up ads on farm store bulletin boards. I hope you can find them good homes.

Back
Top Bottom