More boxes needed!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LilyD, Feb 14, 2012.

1. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Okay so I only have 4 hens laying and had 2 boxes for them to lay in but I had to add 3 more boxes today because I ran into a problem. When you have a hen decide to go broody and lay her eggs so she can sit on them in one box it takes you down to one box (this hen really doesn't like to share her "nest" with anyone and will peck anyone who tries so they just don't) The remaining 3 hens really don't want to share the box that is left because they really like the one that my broody girl is using. A natural effect of this is that now I am finding eggs all over the coop where ever they decide to lay them. Hopefully with the three new boxes they will be able to share a little more.

The trials of being a chicken momma.

By the way the worst part of this whole thing is that it's still way below freezing on a normal day up here so my little Pumpkin is working hard to try and hatch out babies but I can't let her keep any eggs because they will just freeze when the temps drop again. How do you explain that to a chicken?? They don't read the books lol.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

A broody hen can keep the eggs from freezing if she's setting - her body heat will do that. She probably won't get up to eat, drink and poop until later in the day, when it's warmer.

Just sayin'....

3. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    The problem is that depending on the day temps can still be well below freezing sometimes in the single digits or below zero. if she will wait for just a few more weeks I will give her some eggs lol. It should be warm enough then that it stays above 20 at least

4. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Hi LilyD,
    Yes, I know what you mean...I have to grab a few from broodies daily [​IMG] They don't seem to care it's a degree from death! Can't WAIT for spring!!

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    It really won't matter that the temp is low - the broody hen will keep the eggs at the right temp! She will also keep the chicks warm after they hatch.

6. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I am tempted to give it a try and put 6 or 8 eggs under her I am worried that she couldn't handle much more and keep them all warm. I saw my first robin today so I am hoping that winter is almost done.

7. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    she can keep them warm with no problem. :) and it will be warmer by the time the chicks hatch and she'll keep them plenty warm too.

she could keep a dozen warm enough, unless she is a bantam. A large fowl hen can hatch well over a dozen eggs in a single setting.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  8. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Okay I decided I was going to try it. She hasn't gotten off the nest for a week even when I bring out her favorite treats. She will cluck from the nest hoping that I bring her some but she won't get off. So I put smiley faces on 6 eggs today and put them under her she was so excited and fluffed up even more. When we got home tonight she had moved her eggs to the other side of the nest and still had all six sitting under her. We checked for spare eggs but put her right back on and she settled right back in. If everything goes well there should be 6 more peepers on the 8th of March. Keep your fingers crossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by