More Broodies .... Augh!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Lucky Ducky, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Lucky Ducky

Lucky Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

We had 5, yes 5, hens go broody 1 after another!!! [​IMG] They've all hatched out their eggs, except we had to give 1 hen babies because her eggs never hatched and she wouldn't give up. We had to scramble around fixing cage after cage to put the mommas and babies into. We finally got everyone situated. Now I've got a broody duck and another broody hen ( one of my DS's OEGB)!!!! [​IMG] Our poor roosters in the one pen are down to 4 hens to 3 roos. Two of those hens are OEGB, the other 2 are Australorps. The roos are an OEGB, a banty golden laced cochin (all of his girls have babies) and a Dominique roo ( the Australorps are his girls). The poor golden laced is out of luck. he's too big to do anything with the OEGB and the Dom isn't going to let him at his girls!!! One of the Australorps was thinking about being broody but the little OEGB hen booted her off of the nest and took over!! Only 2 hens out of the other pen have been broody. Plus there is only 1 rooster in that pen, he doesn't tolerate any other roos!!! He's in no danger of running out of hens yet. He still has 7 girls. Anyone need a broody? The 2 older ( they're in their 2nd laying year) hens have hatched out 3 times each in less than a year!

All of the others are only 9 months old!!!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  2. Lucky Ducky

That's it I give up!!!! Now my son's blue swedish duck has started sitting! [​IMG] If you go within 3 ft. of her, she gives you the stink eye and bristles all up. [​IMG] The buff one acts scared of you but this one, no way, she's standing her ground! Now if my baby girl's fawn & white indian runner goes broody.... [​IMG] We'd have 3 broody females and one drake that's not going to be happy that his girls are unavailable. I hope this is the last female to go broody for awhile or all the boys are going to mutiny. [​IMG] Unless one of my guineas goes broody, I'd be very happy for that to happen. [​IMG]

3. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    [​IMG] That sounds like a crazy flock.

4. Lucky Ducky

Well, we've got brand new baby duckies!!!!! [​IMG] Still got way too many broodies but what can you do! [​IMG] My oldest girl's Buff Duck hatched out 7 out of 8 eggs!!! The other egg wasn't fertile, I opened it and it was just an old egg. 3 of the babies have blue on them and the other 4 are just yellow right now. My son's blue swedish duck should hatch her eggs in about 1 1/2 weeks. We've still got 4 broody hens! [​IMG] Two hens are still with their babies and 3 hens have been moved back to the coop. Out of 18 hens, we've had 9 of them go broody and 1 that can't make her mind up. [​IMG] I've still got to move 2 of the broodies to cages here pretty soon but I've been busy putting up pens for some of the others. We had a frizzle roo that was very testy, he only had 1 girl and she went broody. I put up a pen for him and gave him 2 hens (he'll get a third one tonight after we move her). I also put up a temporary pen for our packing peanuts that we're going to butcher in a couple of months. I got them moved this morning. I have chicks in the greenhouse that have to be moved into a different pen tonight. [​IMG] It's neverending! It's worth it though!!! [​IMG]

5. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    What a nice problem to have.... [​IMG] can I borrow a few???

6. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Dont send them to me! I am frustrated enough with my flock...finally got a broody and she is mean, and i mean MEAN! Then my RIR decided to go broody but not with new eggs but from the broody ORP eggs! They fight over them all day long! I even put a gate between them and the fight between the gate! Tried plywood so they couldnt see each other...one clucks then the other freaks out!!!!!!!!!!!

Did i mention i like my bator better then PMS broodies?

7. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Just stopping in to kill this thread.....maaaahaaaa [​IMG]

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Maybe its something in the water? [​IMG]

9. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    As of tonight I have nine hens, one turkey and two scovies on nests. I keep giving them all eggs to hatch. I pulled three chicks out yesterday, three more today. I bring the chicks inside and just give the hens more eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by