More Broody Silkies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by marie_martin, May 23, 2008.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Well, they have not been long off the nest and I'll be darn if they are not going broody again. Two so far. I put my 3 duck eggs from my swap partner under one of them. The other one doesn't have anything right now. I am thinking of putting some of my ameraucana under her when they get here, hopefully tomorrow. Might as well use her for something right?

Marie

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    OK, here's one of those dummmmm questions but, how do you know if your hen goes broody? What does she do?

3. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    She will sit, either on a nest or elsewhere. She will not get up except to eat once a day usually. And no matter how many times you take her off that spot, she will go back.

Marie

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Thanks. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I learn so much here. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  5. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    We all do. I had to learn when I first came here too. Glad I could in turn help someone else.

I guess I won't be putting my ameraucana under the other broody, they are still not here and were mailed on Tues. Today is Sat. and Monday is a holiday. So those eggs will probably be no good by the time they get here. I think I am going to put my batch of silkie eggs that I was about to list under her. Have not been hatching any of my own lately. So maybe it is time to add some more silkies.

Hope you continue to learn from everyone here.

Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by