More bunnies??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by shelleyd2008, Jul 13, 2011.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I bred my bunnies together last month. Mama is a spotted grey and daddy is a blue otter. I went out yesterday to check her (she was due the 11th) and saw the fur moving. I got a bucket and took all the babies out to see what colors they were and how many she'd had. This is her first litter. She had 9 total: 3 spotted black and 6 black.

Today I was showing the babies to a friend of mine. I pulled 2 babies out of the fur, a spotted and a black. When I went to put them back I noticed that some of the babies were in the front of the nest box. I started moving them to the back where the rest of the babies were. There were 3 spotted in the front??? What gives???

So I got my bucket and started pulling babies from the fur again to see how many there were. Sometime between yesterday morning and this morning she has had 2 more babies! [​IMG]

So mama now has 11 babies total...5 spotted and 6 blacks. I'm glad I only put her with the buck once since I've read that breeding them twice increases the litter size! [​IMG]

The 'new' ones are half as big as the older ones, they'll be okay right? This is the only doe rabbit I have so I don't have any other mamas to split them with.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You are going to have to split feed them. Let mama have half in the morning, and the rest later in the day. I was lucky mine only had 9 and one passed. Kits often move all over the nest box. Within a week they will be bouncing around uncoordinated like jumping beans.

3. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    I would probably just put 2 boxes in with the doe, with the litter divided according to size into each box. Most won't have any issue going back and forth between both boxes to care for them....checking bellies to be sure she is, though.

Good luck with the litter! [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Well unfortunately mama bunny lost 4 of her babies. I found 2 of them dead in the nest box, the other 2 were just 'gone'. I finally got pics of the babies, they are about 2 weeks old and will NOT stay in their nest! Mama bunny uses the nest as a hide-away from the babies [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is mama hiding from the babies in the nest. The front of the nest has another board that makes it about 2 1/2 inches higher but I made it so I can remove that one. The little stinkers everyone jumped over the 5"- 6" front!
    [​IMG]

And here is the proud papa
    [​IMG]

I really wish I could find a blue otter doe, I really like that color. I get a lot of brown babies from him since the otter (agouti) is dominant but the blue is not [​IMG]

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Awwww! I LOVE the white and brown spotted ones!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by