More candling questions... I need the experts!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by astylishgirl, May 11, 2009.

1. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    On my cream eggs, it is so easy to see. I can see the movement of the chick etc.

On my blue eggs, the best that I can see is the air thingy. The rest of the egg is dark and I can't see ANYTHING. The air pocket goes not in a straight line but has sort of a peak in it.

I am on day 10 and I can't tell a thing about my blue eggs. What kind of light can you use to see a blue egg??? I have a little mag light and it will not shine through the middle of these eggs.

I know we are beating this to death, but I really am having trouble with the dark eggs

THANK YOU.

2. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    Don't know that I would worry that much about it. Eggs will hatch perfectly well without ever being candled. Statistically they might even do a bit better without, when you take into account the ones that get dropped during frantic attempts to see inside. There are special candling lights available to make it a bit easier. Brinsea, and GQF offer them.

Jim

3. Lyz

Lyz Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    I have several dark eggs...take a box...cut a small hole in it...cut a hole in a mouse pad...the size of the hole..smaller than the egg...put it on the box..then put a 100 watt bulb in the box to light it up...you can only have the egg on there for a few seconds...but by day 12, I was able to see veining and movement in my dark eggs...good luck...

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Id kinda go with Jim, even if his advice may not seem all that much fun. He's spot on.

I made a candler like mentioned by Lyz. Instead of boxes and mouse pads, I used a toffee tin and a really bright flourescent bulb - one of them big 150W jobs.
    It gives off alot of light through it's 1 1/8" hole, without much heat.

5. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Get a compact fluorscent.. must less heat than a traditional 100w incandescent.

6. astylishgirl

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    I am only candling because I hear so much about eggs exploding! Really, though it was fun to see the embryo, I am always really stressed when I open the incubator. I feel like I am hurting all the eggs.

What do y'all do about rotten eggs? How can you tell if one is going to explode?

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Honestly, I've never had one occur.

Ive hatched shipped eggs, local eggs, store bought eggs - all sorts of eggs. I've read about incubation in all sorts of books and rotten/exploding eggs are rarely, if ever, mentioned. I cant think of any of the older texts that talk about it.

Im wondering if the Exploding Egg Syndrome isn't blown way out of proportion - one of those lurid urban myths which both scares us and which we love to tell... but which we don't really know much about.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As for candling there are only a few moments it needs be done.

First is when you SET the eggs, to look for cracks or other damage.
    Next is at day 7, to look for clears and bacterial signs. Some say to cull all clears, but I hardly ever do.

The next candling is well.... there isn't a pressing need beyond that.

In fact, it was recommended in earlier times to leave them alone beyond the 7th day, except for the daily cooling (but that is another matter).

So, it is possible that you are worrying over nothing.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I smelled somethign funny in my bator-day 10ish? Dh thought I was nuts until we candeled the next day-I sniffed them one by one and found the culprit-chucked it wo opening it! it stunk!!!!!

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Did you candle it to see if there was sign of bacterial activity? This is the "red ring" you often hear about. I've had that occur, but always spotted it before it got to stinkin'.
    Do you think it would have "exploded" if you'd left it in? Someday that might be a cool experiment, albeit messy, you know?
    Have an extra bator ready and if you find one that has gotten "ripe", chuck it in and see what it will do.

10. astylishgirl

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    That is the thing. I could see an air bubble but since the eggs were so dark, I couldn't tell if there was a ring or what. In one egg, I saw no veining that I could tell, but then there was a little moving embryo!!

This is my first batch and I don't want to screw it up. Ya know?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by