More chick problems.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by quails-101, Jul 7, 2016.

1. quails-101

quails-101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    First one of my chicks started getting poo stuck in it's down and now it's starting to lay on it's side and has it's eyes closed it is not cold and does not have diarrhea I got the poo out of it's fur but it didn't seem to help I don't know what else to do I have never had this problem before. Also how do I get the poo cement off there feet. Thanks for the help.

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Take a soft cotton ball and warm water and carefully wipe off the chick's behind. If the poop is stuck to the anus, the chick cannot poop and will die. Sounds like the chick is already weak. Tomorrow AM go to tractor supply or your feed store and buy the smallest bottle of Bovidr Labs Poultry Nutri-Drench. Give the chick one drop only. Then put it in their water for the next 2 weeks so the water looks like very weak tea. This will get them off to a strong start. It hasmolasses in ti which will help both constipation and the runs. http://www.nutridrench.com I hae used it for over a dcade on my collies and poultry. Great stuff. Doesn't need digesting. Mianlines directly to the bloodstream, measureable there in 10 minutes, , 50% uptae in 30 minutes with 99% nutilization. Don'tbother trying to feed that chick, it's G.I tract is compromised by the chicks weakness and won't be able to uptake enough nourishment to make a difference. If the only have Goat Nutri-Drench, yu can use that instead. Just be creful to follow the poultry usage and dosage instructions I list above.
    Best,
    Karen

3. Stephine

Stephine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    Karen, what do you make of Nutridrench containing propylene glycol as the first ingredient? That's the one reason I just can't bring myself to use it. I've used sugar water and a vitamin/probiotic mix instead, with great results, just twice, thankfully.

4. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    I make nothing of it. It just sounds scary because the word is close to anti-freeze. It's nothing likeit and is used in many "natural" products. In fact it is a product of choice for what it does. Pefectly safe for the birds.
    Best,
    Karen

5. Stephine

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    It actually is antifreeze. The same thing, not just a similar word. A synthetic substance derived from petroleum, but supposedly non-toxic.
    I would use it in a pinch, but if there is a natural alternative I would use that instead...

6. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop

7. Stephine

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    Hmm. I am confused. Are you talking about ethylene glycol when you say antifreeze? That of course is different and highly toxic. Propylene glycol is used for the newer types of antifreeze. Everything I can find indicates it is the exact same substance as what they put in Nutri Drench.

8. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Ethylene glycol is anitfreeze, or coolant where I am. Obviously nasty stuff.

Polypropylene glycol and polyethylene glycol are used in the food industry (i.e.) for many, many, applications. Most things in your pantry have been produced with, or nearby either one of those.

However, there isn't much difference between the ethylene glycol and polypropylene glycol, only a molecule or so.

But there isn't much difference between 02, and C02. Or H, and H20. Just a molecule or so.

1 person likes this.
  9. Stephine

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma

Ah, now I understand. Yes, these days, the antifreeze is often propylene glycol, because too many pets and birds have died from ingesting the old fashioned ethylene glycol type antifreeze. So, yes, it's antifreeze. And no, my pantry has nothing like that, not even my dog food - he eats BARF. We're all bio-eco-hippie-Portlandia like that :eek:)

10. quails-101

quails-101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    That antifreeze is weird because we had a cat that drank some and died while we were on vacation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by