more chick questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jimz1, Apr 1, 2011.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    A couple of them are just siting there doing nothing. Their wings are open a little at there side. They almost look like the one that is (I think dying), but when I pick it up it starts squirming around. Do you think it was just resting?

2. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Sometimes when they hold their wings out, it means they're too hot. Do you have a thermometer in the brooder?

3. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    I don't know the circumstances about the other one you say died. But if your chicks are under a heat lamp...they do like to "sun" themselves and stretch out thier wings and kinda lay on thier sides and relish in the warmth. Without knowing more this is just a suggestion of what could be happening.

Where'd you get them? What was the circumstance of first chicks death? Symptoms? Where they shipped? Sometimes you get a couple of losses in shipping/trauma/stress... How old are they? How are you caring for them...are they inside/outside/lights? Are they huddled together or happily spread out?

More information is needed.

4. jimz1

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    I had one in there ,took it out when I put the chicks in, now I just put it back. When I took it out it was at 90

5. maple

Apr 28, 2010
    A thermometer is a must. That's a great suggestion. If they are spread out to the edges of brooder and avoiding the heat lamp then it's too hot.

6. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    They will be very tired and stressed from shipping. Make sure that the temperature is right (90-95) and that each chick has drank. (If their wings are open, they may be too hot) As I put them in the brooder, I dip each chick's beak in water, so I know they have had something. I added poultry vitamins/electrolytes to the water, but I know other people have added sugar to the water for the first day. Good luck for your new additions! [​IMG]

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Most of the time, it is just plain too hot, with no where to go to cool off. Get your temps down to 80-85 and they will love you for it.

8. jimz1

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    I got them from Townline Hatchery. They were shipped on the 30th. The first one died, probably suffocated. It was pretty well flattened out in the box. The other one lookes a little better than when I first took it out.I have them in a "brooder" inside kinda with a heat lamp. The brooder is a styrofoam cooler that is 43"longX12" acrossx12" deep.
    I just checked the temp and it's at 90 now

9. maple

Apr 28, 2010
    Do a search on here...some people put electrolytes in the water...there's stuff you can buy for that and in a pinch I think people have used gatorade...but do a search.

10. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    They're going to eat the brooder; chickens love styrofoam. (They're not the brightest animals on the planet.) Do you have anything else you can use as a brooder- a big plastic tub, big tin tub, anything like that? You don't want them filling up on styrofoam rather than their food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by