More Chicken Squatting Talk

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fowl Wrangler, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Fowl Wrangler

Fowl Wrangler Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2011
    We have three (heretofore lazy, freeloading) chickens at my house. The SLW, who we think is about 5-7 days older than the others, has been squatting for a few days. Just now I went outside to say hi, and my blue wyandotte popped a squat! She looked and sounded so surprised! I came running in the house to share the good news, and then had to come share it here because I knew if I posted on facebook about my chickens "squatting" all my friends and family would think I'd finally gone round the bend.

2. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Congratulations!!! And welcome! This is exactly the right place to post about squatting chickens [​IMG] I hope to be in your shoes in the next few weeks - can't wait for my freeloaders to start popping squats!!!

3. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Can't wait to see egg pics from you soon.

I have SLW's and I was wondering about yours. How old are they and are they flighty? Aggressive sometimes?

4. Fowl Wrangler

Aug 8, 2011
    Quote:Hi sheryl,

I have one SLW, hatchery chick in a flock of three. She's about 6.5 months old, I think, and the top chicken as well as the biggest. She and the other wyandotte are both bossy with our sweet EE, but not bullies, as far as I can tell. I'm not sure what folks mean when they say flighty; our chickens are in the back of our yard, but only nominally fenced with something about 3 ft high. We'll obviously need to beef that up now that they've figured out they can get to the other side easily. Both the wyandottes tend to take advantage of this more than the EE, though she has more actual flight capability. neither wyandotte is particularly skittish or shy, but neither is really a lap chicken, unlike the EE. I suspect the EE is so cuddly because she's at the bottom of the pecking order and enjoys the affection. None of our chickens are aggressive, though the SLW will yell at us if we deviate from the routine. I suspect that's partly because she's about to lay and thus loud and cranky.

5. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    Mine have been for a while, but DH and the dogs can't seem to figure out why the chickens stop and squat right in front of them lol

6. Fowl Wrangler

Aug 8, 2011
    Quote:Thanks!

7. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Thanks for letting me know about your SLW's. 2 of mine are very bossy and can be mean, there was another 1 who was also the same way but she changed once she went broody.

8. maggiec1951

maggiec1951 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    west central florida
    Quote:All my friends KNOW I've gone round that proverbial bend because I post pictures of my chickens routinely on facebook and have even invited friends over to "chicken watch"[​IMG] Right there with you.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    When they start squatting eggs aren't far off.

10. Fowl Wrangler

Aug 8, 2011
    Finally! I went out just now to give them some treats, and there was a small light brown egg in the corner by the food. Fancy (the SLW) is much less cranky than she has been, so I suspect it's hers. If I can get my hands on a camera I'll post pictures of the egg & the bird!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by