More chickens for Seattle residents!!!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by jettgirl24, Aug 18, 2010.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    http://www.mynorthwest.com/category/local_news_articles/20100817/Seattle-allows-more-chickens,-bans-roosters/

The
    city council passed an ordinance on Monday to raise the number of chickens that can be kept legally from 3 to 8!!! They banned roos which kinds of sucks, but I for one would rather have more hens than a roo anyway. They grandfathered existing roos in so that no one ends up homeless. I'm very excited since I hatched 8 babies in anticipation of the vote... With 2010 being the year of urban farming in Seattle and wide support from the community and the council I figured this would go through. I've got 3 girls laying, I plan to keep 3 babies, and maybe add 2 more in a year and a half or so. YAY! [​IMG]

2. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    such good news...and so smart..........
    I live outside of Portland and recently the suburb voted to allow three hens per house hold.
    Step in the right direction. [​IMG]

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    That is excellent news! [​IMG]

Congrats to every chicken owner, and prospective or future owners, in Seattle! [​IMG]

4. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Great news! I'm excited for you guys! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by