1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

More chicks are dying, and I still don't know why.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jklw88, Feb 25, 2014.

1. jklw88

jklw88 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2014
    I made a post the other day (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/857325/new-chick-is-outwardly-healthy-but-very-lethargic) when we were losing our first chick. Since then, two more have fallen sick and one of those died. I still can't figure out the cause, but it must be more than an anomaly if 20% of my flock is dying with the same symptoms, right?

It looks like the coccidiosis behavior seen at 2:11 in this video (). The chicks fluff out their feathers, then get weak and start laying down, then die. No other indications of illness at all. They die about two days after showing symptoms.

Is it likely to be coccidiosis if *none* of my three sick chicks have had bloody stool? Maybe because they're only a week old, they died before it got to that point? They've also been getting medicated feed since day one, which makes me less sure it's coccidiosis.

The sick ones won't eat or drink themselves, so I've been giving them water medicated with Corid, Sav-a-Chick, and a bit of sugar via medicine dropper. 2-5 ml every couple of hours depending on how interested they are. If anyone has some insight I'd be very grateful!

2. NC Chick Man82

NC Chick Man82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    North Carolina
    I would say it is coccidiosis if symptoms are as you say...:( sorry you are having to deal with this. How old are chicks and have you seperated them to try and reduce spreading? There is medicine you can give them for coccidiosis the medicated feed just helps prevent it but not cure it

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    I believe i mentioned Coccidiosis to you in your other post(chicks healthy but lethargic thread). No need to separate as they all have been exposed. Give them the Corid,if you have Corid 9.6% liquid the dose is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 1-1.5 tsp per gallon of water.Treat ALL chicks for 5-7 days,make sure medicated water is the only water they have to drink. DO NOT give vitamins during treatment as they interfere with the ability of coccidiostat to work,give vitamins after treatment is complete.

Chicks on medicated feed can have an overload/outbreak of cocci. Chicks vaccinated for coccidiosis can also have an overload/outbreak of cocci as vaccines do not target all strains,only the most common.

Note: there is NOT always blood in poop with Coccidiosis,only 2 strains have blood as a symptom,the other 9 strains do not.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  4. jklw88

Feb 7, 2014
    Thank you both!

I've been putting the sick chicks in a long, narrow box partially under the heater with their own food and water. Not to keep the disease contained, but because the weak ones were getting pushed around and trampled by the healthy ones.

I started Corid treatment last night (2 tsp of 9.6% liquid per 1 gallon of water), so I'll keep that up for another 6 days. I will stop adding the Sav-a-Chick, though. What about sugar in the water for the sick one? I've been giving that because she isn't eating.

Thank you again, ten chicks! What do you think the chances are for the one that is already sick?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  5. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If you can get the coccidiostat(corid) into her,she may survive. Often when they get to the point your chick is at,the parasite has already done severe damage.

As long as sav a chick contains no vitamins,it is safe to use(thiamine ,b/c parasite requires thiamine to reproduce and survive,corid(amprolium)blocks thiamine from body,stopping reproduction of parasite,this is why no vitamins should be given as they counteract coccidiostat if they contain thiamine) I believe sav a chick contains maltodextrin which is a cabohydrate and bacillus subtilis,but i have never used product and i am not entirely sure on ingredients,check label on product.

Make sure ill chicks are drinking/eating.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  6. ourltlflock

ourltlflock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2014
    Las Vegas
    If treating with the Corid, should the medicated chick feed not be used with it? Or ACV?

7. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    I personally use medicated feed while treating coccidiosis with amprolium,never had any issues,but you will find others that suggest non-medicated feed while treating,reason being is that medicated feed contains amprolium,but it is a very small amount. Using the medicated feed gives me the added benefit of knowing my chicks are getting enough of the coccidiostat(in the event they are not drinking enough)often we suggest adding medicated water to non-medicated feed for reason i mentioned,so basically it is the same thing. Decision is yours to make

I would not use the ACV while treating,this is just my personal opinion.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  8. jklw88

Feb 7, 2014
    That's great info, ten chicks. It looks like Sav-a-Chick does contain thiamine, so I stopped providing that and will stick with just Corid and the medicated feed.

We lost the sick chick yesterday. It was weird, I had just finished giving her a few ml of medicated water by dropper, she was looking pretty good, and the moment I put her back in the brooder she flopped onto her back. I gently rolled her back over and she wasn't breathing. The remaining 12 seem to be doing well, so my fingers are crossed that I started giving the Corid in time for them.

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by