More color ID'ing, plus better pics of my buttons.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Almi, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Almi

Almi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    First of all, would anyone be willing to color ID my recently hatched chicks? Unfortunately there are only 9 now, as the little light yellow one on the left of the pic passed away today, but if anyone wants to try on that color, feel free.

[​IMG]

I also have taken pictures of the rest of the buttons in the big tank, so you can see them looking pretty and not all stressed out rammed in a plastic bin. [​IMG]

Here's the tank. Not sure if I want to put anything on the top left level or not. I also am doing something different for a hidebox, because they don't like those little plastic ones. Any suggestions or criticisms on the setup welcome, I have only been keeping these guys for a year for I consider myself somewhat of a noob.
    [​IMG]

Blue breasted and splash hens.
    [​IMG]

Blue breasted male and red breasted hen.
    [​IMG]

Silver red breasted male.
    [​IMG]

A bunch of them, the cinnamon male is up on the level.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two cinnamon tuxedo pied males.
    [​IMG]

A blue breasted hen and red breasted male in the sandbox.
    [​IMG]

Blue breasted tuxedo pied hen.
    [​IMG]

Love my two splash hens, unfortunately they ended up being aggressive towards the younger birds so I had to remove them.
    [​IMG]

Silver red breasted hen.
    [​IMG]

I am going to attempt 3 males and 5 or so hens in this setup and see how it goes. I know that you are not "supposed" to keep button quails like this, but I am hoping it will work out, as I've heard of groups working out and have had a group of six work out before. But we'll see. They are monitored almost constantly in case of aggression.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It's hard to tell on the babies but it looks like there are several silvers. If they are yellow with grey stripes or grey with yellow stripes then that's what they are. If any are solid yellow (bright) with no stripes then they would be white. None of them look 'bright' enough to be whites though.

The darker ones look like normal wild or maybe golden pearl chicks.

The pair you have labeled as "Blue breasted male and red breasted hen" looks more like a Golden Pearl male and RB hen. Your Silver red breasted male doesn't look like a redbreast, his breast feathers should be pink.

Just an FYI, button quail should be kept in individual pair cages only. Probably why your splash hens were mean to the younger ones [​IMG]

3. Almi

Almi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Yeah, I couldn't get the right lighting on the chicks, they don't appear to have any color besides yellow, and they are brighter in person. My guess on these chicks is two silvers, two blue breasted, one red breasted, one golden red breasted, and three whites.

Oh? I was told it was a blue breasted. This is the same male at 6 days old (smallest baby in the pic obviously):

[​IMG]

And at four weeks (on the far right):
    [​IMG]

Does that help at all? What is even the difference between a blue breasted and golden pearl male??

Both of my silver red breasted males are young and therefore do not have their full coloring yet. The older one (that is just finally getting his pink feathers, you can see it on his butt) is over 2 months old, the other one is about a month old. I was told that these are all red breasted silvers.

I have had groups get along before, and other people have experienced the same. If they don't want to live in a group, I will separate and rehome them as such. However, I have bad experiences with keeping pairs only (the female gets terribly over-mated), so I am trying something else. There is no need to tell me that over and over or worry about it. [​IMG]

Thanks for your input, btw. It is appreciated.

4. Almi

Almi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Oh, I also meant to put tuxedo SPLASH for those ones, don't know why I put pied. Too lazy to wade through and edit.

5. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

I Love your set up :O

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    The male is a blue breasted. He would have white on the nose and more straw on the back if GP.

Photos are on my website to help you ID.

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Here are some of my photos of some Golden pearl Males

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

White nostril and facial is indicator one, indicator two is strawing on back.

[​IMG]

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:There is no tuxedo splash....

there is:

Pied
    Tuxedo-pied
    Splash

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by