More CRAZY chicken math!! Pics

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by OHhappychicks, Jun 6, 2011.

1. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    This past march a friend and I ordered 32 chicks from mmc, of which 12 were mine.
    In the meantime I decided to put 12 of my own in the bator, - 1 unfertile one = 11. On hatching day 7 out of the 11 hatched! [​IMG] But a few days later 1 died unexpectedly of unknown causes. [​IMG] Down to 6. Two weeks later, the mmc order came in. 32+ 1 free rare chick + 5 white leghorn roos as packing peanuts, = 38 - 20 friends share = 18 + 6 bator hatch = 24. Now I have been wanting a broody for 3 yrs now. And suddenly I have "3"!! Yes 3 broodies!![​IMG] The first one ( a speckled sussex) has been laying clutches of eggs everywhere in the yard, barn, under the dumpster, everywhere except a nice comfy nest box in the henhouse!! [​IMG] Have been taking the eggs as we find them as we don't want her out of the henhouse alone at nite. Now this has been going on for about 2 months!!!! Then the 2nd one (porcelain banty) decides to go broody in our hoopstyle greenhouse. She had 12 eggs under her, 10 hers 2 speckled sussex. We decided to leave her in there as it is more protected. Soooo, 12 - 2 broken = 10. This past weekend she hatched out 6 of the 10! Sooooo, 18 +6+6 = 30!! [​IMG] Now the 3rd one decides to go broody this weekend!!!! (also a speckled sussex) We started to take the eggs away from her, but I'm down to 1 cuckoo maran hen so I decided to let her go ahead and set. We put 2 brown leghorns, and 1 cuckoo maran eggs under her. Hopefully we will get another maran egg soon to put under her. She is 3 yrs old and isn't laying but 1-2 eggs a week. Now THIS is what I call real chicken math!!

Here is a couple of pics of the new weekend arrivals!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  2. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    OOOhhhh....bebes....SO CUTE!!!!

3. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    I LOVE chicken math [​IMG]
    they are all so cute....congrats [​IMG]

4. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Chicken Math strikes again! [​IMG]
    Congrats!! They're ADORABLE! [​IMG]

5. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Thanks! They are sooooo cute and adorable and TINY! They are all doing great and HennyPenny, (mom) is doing a great job!!

6. eggalitarian

eggalitarian Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Oh my goodness! Such sweetness! [​IMG]

7. akcharlie1960

akcharlie1960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Yours tip over their feeder too ?

8. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Well actually I believe some of the other hens got in there and knocked it over. We fixed it so they couldn't get in with momma and babies! But yes they do knock it over occasionally!

9. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    aaaaawwwwww, to cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by