More crowing??? Pictures added in post #7

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NanaKat, Apr 26, 2009.

1. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

My 40 chicks are nearing 9 weeks of age.
    Shouldn't I be hearing more than ONE making the teenager sounding Erra erra arwwww sound?
    Granted 29 were straight run: 6 NewHampshire reds, 7 Barred Rock,
    7 Ideal 236 leghorns, 2 Black Cochins, 1 black Jersey Giant, 1 gold Orp, 1 White EE, 4 Australorp mix.
    I hatched only on EE that looks like a hen - no comb yet and purchased 10 Australorp pullets.

The only one doing any crowing is the Black Jersey Giant (bottom of feet are black).

The chicks all came from a local Atwoods and were supposed to be from Ideal. The leghorns look like a crossbreed of leghorn and Delaware and Barred Rock. The Black austrolorps must be some crossbreed because they are not solid Black....many have pretty golden brown heads.

Surely I couldn't be this lucky to have only one rooster and 39 hens!!!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  2. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    thier still a little young! some of mine didnt even start crwing for a Loooong time it seemed lol

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    You might be but usually I get 50 % roos. [​IMG]

4. NanaKat

I was thinking the 50% on the 29 would be normal.
    I'll have to post pics because I'm not seeing many hook feathers on what I thought are roos.

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Mine are 11 weeks and only one of the roos has started trying to crow, but there are 5 definate roos out there and one late bloomer probably. So I am guesssing that you might be a bit early to judge by crow alone.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have 50 that just passed 9 weeks, a motley mix like yours. Two started sort-of crowing 3 days ago; haven't heard any others. I have around 30 roos, maybe 35; bought some sexed as roos for the freezer (not Cornish; they are RIR, BA, NHR, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2009
  7. NanaKat

Okay...I now have photos and have edited in numbers for the photos. Perhaps we can determine if there are some roos in each picture and perhaps even identify what cross the Black Australorps are. I've tried to make sure there are pics of the ones I suspect may be roos.

1) Here is a general pic of part of the flock
    [​IMG]

2) The two cochins that I hope are hens
    [​IMG]

3)A supposed to be Australorp and a new Hampshire red,,,maybe roo?
    [​IMG]

4) A white EE and others
    [​IMG]

5) The mutual inspection of barred rock, leghorn with black specks and NHR along with the cat
    [​IMG]

6) Barred rock and a leghorn Delaware cross
    [​IMG]

7) The little Buff Orp and a light colored barred rock
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Keep something in mind. If the roo that has decided to be the alpha roo is very dominant, the others may be a afraid to crow because they don't want to suffer the wrath of the alpha.
    My Thor crowed much later than my alpha and then only very rarely. Now that he is the alpha, Thor crows his head off.
    I spy several suspected roos in your pics. If you break your pics down to two or three chickens at a time, it would be easier to pick out the roos.

9. NanaKat

I had no idea that roosters had an alpha/beta thing going on like dogs. That is a concept with which I'm familiar. The pair of roosters I have with my older hens crow all the time...with no one being dominant.

Chuck and Charlie are geeing up there in years so...I still need to determine which birds are roos so I can begin the process of preparing for the freezer any roos I won't need.
    Any help would be appreciated.

I will keep the Jersey Giant as a roo and would like to designate a BR and a NHR.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Oh yeah! When I had two roos, they definitely had the alpha/beta thing going on. Thor was only allowed to live on the edges of the flock. He never tried to mate or crow when the alpha was around. If he did sneak in a mating and the alpha caught him at it he'd knock Thor off the hen and then turn around and mate her himself. Thor was twice the size of my former alpha. Size didn't matter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by