More dog food talk

GwenFarms

Songster
11 Years
Feb 26, 2008
I have searched and found quite a few posts about dog food, but I didn't see much on the effects eating dog food has on pullets. I have a neighbor that has been intentionally feeding soaked dry dog food to his laying flock for about a month now, along with his usual commercial laying pellets.

A couple of months ago he took a trip out of town and I tended his animals. They are well taken care of, but weren't laying as well as they should and just appeared to have someithng missing. He went on another trip this past weekend and once again I took care of the chickens.

I could not believe the differences in his hens. They look better all over. They have brighter combs, cleaner appearances, and fuller all over. They are also laying TWICE as many eggs, if not a few more. The only change he made is the hi pro dog food.

What do you all think? Have you ever heard of any adverse effects from dog food, or seen these positive changes after chickens eat dog food?

in past flocks, dry cat food has been a great addition. the protein % is higher than dog food and they love it. found that one by accident...caught the chickens in the catfood bowl

Chickens need some kind of meat. They are not herbavours(sp). If they are not free ranging and most are not in the winter there insect source needs to be made up with some others meat type source. Also many have found that the recommened protein amount is too low for a laying flock. 16% does not cut it in winter. Feeding a cheap dog or cat for with a 20% or better works wonders for chickens and eggs.

So any dog or cat food as long as it has high protein will help the chickens? Never heard of that before will have to try it. Thanks:hugs

My remaining hen watched the cats jump up on a cabinet on our deck where their food is, and took it upon herself to do the same. Now I toss a handful to her every couple of days, and she really likes it. That way I can block her off the deck, where chicken poop is not appreciated.

The top 2-3 ingredients in dog/cat chow or kibble is a protein source and corn...when the weather and mail is slow getting our feed for the hens, I give dog/cat food soaked in water so it won't expand in their crops and also at a separate time of the day, give oatmeal, dry, which they and the geese love- but I wouldn't want to feed them this long term, they still need a balanced diet so I "supplement" w/treats and keep an eye on their health for signs, and also keep an eye on the egg shell of their eggs, giving their shells back to them after I crush the shell.

I have feed some cat food during molt, however keep it limited due to the high sodium content. What I do instead now, is buy a high protein layer supplement which is 20% protein and balanced for the chicken's body. Increased protein is generally good for the birds, but they don't need as much salt which can do long term damage from what I have heard. I've also heard too much protein over too long can cause gout?

Well that's interesting to learn because I have about 1,000 lbs of donated Pedigree (and a bit of Whiskas) in my garage for our greyhound rescue foster homes, but it gives most greyhounds the runs because of the high corn content. I'm so happy to have some use for atleast a bit of the dog food.

Sandy

I have a bag of organic cat food I will feed them, but i give them lentil sprouts which is high in protein and my girls are laying great!

yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom