More Drakes, Rouen or Mallard, and other random questions about my ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fowl farm, Sep 24, 2012.

1. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    1. I have two Mallard hens and one Mallard drake. The drake has paired up with one of the hens and the other is a loner. I've seen the others tease her and things. I also read that Mallards will form pairs around October and November, so will they be nice later? I dislike having Fish being teased, but should I just get more hens?

2. Al, the hen who paired up with the drake, is larger than the drake. I can post pictures, but what would be the likely-hood of her being a Rouen? We were told she was a Mallard at hardware store we got her from.

3. Al keeps on climbing on Fish's back like a drake and it's annoying. It's like we have two drakes and one hen in that sense. How can I discourage it? And yes, Al is a girl. She's laying.
    Thanks! I'm sure I can come up with more question later, too!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    1. That's wild Mallards. I have rarely seen this behavior in domestic mallards. I would not advise keep them in pairs unless in separate pens. I think adding more hens would be a good idea.

2. Hatchery Mallards vary widely in size. It sounds like she could be a rouen.

3. Not much you can do. She is only establishing her dominance over Fish.

3. fowl farm

May 9, 2012
    1. How do I not let them pair up? Bert (the drake) attacked one of my chickens in defense of Al's nest that she isn't even laying in right now (at least, I can't find an egg). Either that or he just attacked a hen. I have no issue with adding more hens as it is a great excuse for more ducks, but separate pens won't work. They free-range and I don't clip wings.

2. Thanks! I was just curious.

3. I was wondering if it was dominance.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I would give it some time. He may warm up to the other some especially once the duck starts sitting on the nest.. If you're pair is exhibiting this behavior long term it will be very interesting to see how it progresses through out the season!

5. fowl farm

May 9, 2012
    He's favored Al for awhile. Fish has a nest too, and he was being a little nicer to her, but still favoring Al ....and then Al started laying.

6. fowl farm

May 9, 2012
    To put that in better words- Bert has always favored Al. Fish has been laying/nesting for about a month and during that time Bert seemed aware that there seemed to be a second hen. Since Al has started laying/nesting, Bert has been the devoted little doggy, so to speak. Fish is really tame for it, though, so all isn't lost :)

7. fowl farm

May 9, 2012
    Why do drakes bray like donkeys?

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think i may know the problem, they really don't know who they are? I had a hard time keeping up with who was who. so I say they are confused just like me. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  9. fowl farm

May 9, 2012
    :)

10. fowl farm

May 9, 2012
    Can you find the duck?

[​IMG]

Hmmm.. She was a lot harder to see on the camera! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by