More drama

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by iplsmama, Jan 25, 2011.

1. iplsmama

iplsmama Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2010
    Please tell me that I will be able to put these chicks together. Hatched out the lone chickie from our incubator on Sunday morning. She is going strong but incessantly peeps for attention so I get two more chicks tonight that hatched out today. They were just barely fluffy when I picked them up so very new. We can't put them together because the first one pecks at their toes and eyes and little umbilical hanging thing. I am hoping that this will stop when the newer ones are up on their feet. Please tell me it will be alright!!

2. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    I am a little confused about the umbilical thing.
    Did they need a little more time in the incubator???????????
    Sounds like they need more time to get thier strenghth At least mine are pretty tired the first few days.
    I think when the new ones are stronger they will be OK.
    In the mean time.I have read a stuffed toy will sometimes pasify the older one.
    Sorry, best I could do.
    Maybe someone with more experience will chime in [​IMG]

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    take some screen or hardware wire and seperate/divid brooder till they get a little stronger.

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yeah, put a bit of mesh to separate them so they can see each other. Then when you take it away they already know each other and there hopefully shouldn't be any scuffling. Good luck!

5. iplsmama

iplsmama Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2010
    Yeah I'm sure they would normally have had a little more time in the incubator. All is well now. We divided the brooder with cardboard so she still peeped a lot last night but at some point she broke into the other side and this morning she was cuddled up with the others. What a little social butterfly she is!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by