More eggs with the roo...?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kybeagle, Sep 19, 2010.

1. kybeagle

kybeagle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    My pullets are just now becoming of age to start laying good. I have one that has started which I have picked up an egg from about every 3 days for the last 2 weeks. My question is will hens lay more eggs with a rooster in the flock or not. I've heard some people say yes and others say it doesn't matter!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Doesn't make a hill a beans difference.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Nope, doesn't matter at all---Unless you have too many roos and the hens are getting harrassed all the time and in that case they'll lay less. I like my roos though, they find the girls' treats and fix the nests up just right for them to lay in--pretty too.

4. gordonburrito

gordonburrito Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    We have mostly high egg production breeds and they lay every day without a rooster. If there was a difference, it would have to be a few eggs a year. On the other hand, my chickens think I am the rooster and squat for me when they see me coming or when I reach for them. This makes them MUCH easier to catch.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  5. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    rooster's don't matter... Depends on the breed of the chicken how may they will lay, also if they are younger it may take them a bit to start laying every day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by