More eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lorihadams, Dec 3, 2008.

1. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    I was only getting 1 egg a day and all of a sudden I'm getting 2 a day now! I am so eggcited [​IMG] ! I don't know who stepped up but I am sure glad they did! I have 6 hens but only 1 was laying....I was beginning to get worried.

Lori

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Congrats! It never gets old, collecting eggs. It's the highlight of each day for me! [​IMG]

3. busybychoice

busybychoice Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    kitsap peninsula
    How long should I expect eggs? I have 10 Hens and I get 3 eggs a day. I'm ready to switch to ducks. It seems that they should be laying 1 a day. They arent older then 3 years. I give them grain, chicken feed, their nests are clean fresh water. Light for at least 15 hours. They are enclosed at night undercover during the day. Protected from prediters. When is there a molt and how long does it last? Help![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Quote:See, I think that may be the problem . . .

Okay, seriously . . . . [​IMG] . . . A molt lasts at least a month.
    I give them grain, chicken feed . . .

You can quickly dilute the protein level of their feed below adequate levels by giving them grain. Of course, it depends on what grain and how much of it is given.

Let's say your hen is eating 120 grams of food each day. She requires 18 grams of protein, so those 120 grams had better be at least 15% protein. (A 15% part of 120 grams is 18 grams.)

Let's say your grain is 8% protein and she's eating 60 grams of that and 60 grams of a 17% protein commercial laying feed.

Your hen is getting 5 grams of protein from the grain and 10 grams from her feed. That gives her 15 grams - not enuf to take care of her own body and make an egg each day.

Oh, and she's happy eating the grain, maybe nothing but grain, because then she'll get 500 calories from her 120 grams. She only really needs about 320 calories.

Steve​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by