More geese or more time?

TheStooges

Songster
Apr 18, 2021
Savannah, TN
I have two pilgrim geese, male & female. The gander was sweet, until mating season (I do understand that’s normal) now he tries to kill chickens, ducks, even donkeys if he’s feeling real brave. Not too mean to humans, mostly wants to mate with our legs. My question…. Is this just normal gander behavior, period. Or is is possible if we had more females he might calm down some? I don’t really want more unless that’s going to help! Anyone have experience/advice?
When we got them, the guy told us lots of people keep 1:1 but I guess he didn’t specify how successfully.

Also to add our goose did have a prolapse and we treated her, she seems to have recovered but we are keeping them separate for now because it’s only been a day or so. Is that from over mating her? To be honest, he’s much more interested in our legs than he is her. Ive seen them mate, but not terribly often.

Attachments

• C7FA1B8D-FE03-4555-90DE-BB9E07450F2E.jpeg
    C7FA1B8D-FE03-4555-90DE-BB9E07450F2E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10
I dont know anything about prolapse and what causes it but @Goosebaby might . Yep boys are nuts this time of year and will do anything to protect his own. Its funny but its usually the girl that causes it in my flock. So his boss (her) the purpouse for his life is out of commission he will take that out on whatever he thought caused it. Sorry not being much help.

I dont know anything about prolapse and what causes it but @Goosebaby might . Yep boys are nuts this time of year and will do anything to protect his own. Its funny but its usually the girl that causes it in my flock. So his boss (her) the purpouse for his life is out of commission he will take that out on whatever he thought caused it. Sorry not being much help.
That makes sense though! Thanks for your input. This too shall pass…

Prolapses are tricky, I’ve only expierienced it with a duck.

I’ve heard people say to carefully push it back in with some Vaseline or KY jelly, others say to apply the lubricant and leave it to sort of suck itself back in.
Reinserting the prolapse is what I did, but the official vet method is to leave it if there’s damage to the tissues, if that’s the case she needs a vet.
The prolapse must be treated quickly and kept clean, there’s a high chance of infection when a prolapse has occurred so antibiotics could be needed.

Prolapses are usually caused by the bird overstraining to push out an egg, but they can be a secondairy issue to having some sort of mass displacing organs out of the body.

Prolapses can be a one time thing, or they can be a recurring issue, of it recurs she might need to see a vet to see why it keeps recurring she’ll probably need sutures to keep it in place.

For the case with my duck, she was a jumbo Pekin with numerous other health issues that kept repeatedly prolapsing, her quality of life because of that and her other problems “lack of mobility due to arthritis and a broken leg” had vanished so we made the decision to end her suffering. For that reason I don’t have any knowledge of this issue long term.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom