More help sexing 9 week old chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HappyHandsHomestead, Jun 12, 2019.

1. HappyHandsHomestead

HappyHandsHomestead In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2019
    This is ridiculous. I started out with six chicks and was told they were all female. I have since given two to a friend because we didn’t want that many, and one that turned out to be a rooster went to a sanctuary last weekend. We now have the remaining three, and I think TWO of them may be roosters. I posted about my buff Orpington a few days ago, but I added a couple more photos of him/her as they are better pictures that show the light pink comb. The only chick in the photos that I think is definitely a female is the black one. Please help. This is so ridiculous, and I’m a bit sad about it all at this point.

Attached Files:

SurferchickinSB likes this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Got my Puppy

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    The black looks to be your only pullet.

3. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    I can't see the two birds to well but you are definitely right the brown is a rooster.

Albertan likes this.
  4. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    I agree with you, looks like the black one is a pullet. I don’t see how you could get five roos out of six chicks!

5. linsybird

linsybird Chirping

Jun 28, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Where did you get your chicks from? That’s crazy that so many of them are roosters! I’d say the buff Orpington is a rooster too, but that’s just based off comparing your’s to my buff Orpington pullet. Mine is a week younger, but her comb and wattles are considerably smaller.

HAPPYCHICKENLADY17 likes this.
  6. aglandaetap

aglandaetap Songster

Apr 26, 2017
    Bridgeport CT
    If they are 9 weeks old now, then the Easter Egger and Buff Orpington are cockerels.

7. HappyHandsHomestead

Jun 8, 2019
    I got them from a local farm. My son’s preschool hatched them from eggs, and the director there, who has been raising chickens for years, sexed them and was adamant that they were all female. Pretty sure four of the six are roosters:(

CityslickerHomestead likes this.
  8. HenHouse4Life

HenHouse4Life GrandmaOnDuty

Mar 22, 2016
    Mid Michigan
    I'm sorry about your situation :hugs
    Do you happen to know how the director 'sexed' them? Will they take the boys back for an exchange?
    Sexing mistakes can, and do, happen but it's unfortunate that someone was so adamant about it.

9. HappyHandsHomestead

Jun 8, 2019
    I am not sure. The farm will not take them back. I’ve asked. It’s just so irritating, but I guess that’s just how the cookie crumbles for me. There is a sanctuary that I can bring them to, but she is at capacity, and I just don’t know if she will be able to take them before I absolutely must get rid of them. I wish there were more options for housing beautiful roosters. I would have purchased only pullets had I gotten better info up front.

10. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

HAPPYCHICKENLADY17 Songster

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
    is that a buff orp? definately a rooster.....i just rehomed mine, he was gorgeous...i thought i was raising 3 buffs, but 2 were hens and one roos.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: