1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

More Hens / Roosterin the Hen House

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by doithunting, Mar 5, 2009.

1. doithunting

doithunting New Egg

Mar 2, 2009
    Just picked up my new 6 hens 4 days ago. First time every for me to have chickens. They are Isa Browns - 10 months old and they each are laying an egg a day except for one - I am sure she is still ajusting to the new place. Anyway I was going to add a couple of different breeds to the flock - but - the farmer that I got them from said not to put another hens / roosters in with an existing brood as they will kill the new bee in the bunch. What are you thoughts on this or any advise?

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    [​IMG] You will love having fresh eggs and chickens to watch! There is a way to introduce new chickens to the current flock but if you just put a chicken or two right in with them, yes...they might kill them. First, you have to quarantine the new chickens for a month, as far away from your existing flock as possible to be sure they don't have an illness that can be passed on to your current chickens. When the time is up, you should create a way for the new chickens and old chickens to see each other through chicken wire or hardware cloth or something but not get to each other. After about a week, you can start to let them free range together and stay close to monitor the situation. Introducing new chickens is a PITA in my opinion. Now, if you are starting with chicks, then you don't quarantine them but keep them in a warm brooder. (See the Learning Center on the homepage about raising chicks.) You shouldn't put the chicks with the chickens until they are the same size and then you will have to introduce them like you would regular grown chickens.

3. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Welcome to the BYC. Good advice from birdlover about getting new chickens. Also, be sure and introduce yourself on the Newcomer thread so more of us can welcome you.

And perhaps a picture of your Isa Browns? I don't know if I have ever seen one.

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

when are you going to post some pictures for us.

Omran

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by