More Hens !!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tiffanyg2, May 3, 2011.

1. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Can you tell me where the best place would be for me to get more Buff Orpington Hens~ the 3 pullets I bought from the farm store by me in SC turned out to be 2 Roo's and 1 female!! When I called them up and told him what happened he just laughed and said I had to have the worst luck! LOL but seriously I know all the farm stores around here are not selling baby chicks anymore. I don't know about the online places... any suggestions??

2. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    McMurray has a 25 chick minimum, but the chickens I've gotten from them have all been sexed right. There is also the cackle hatchery which only has a 15 chick minimum. Looking at their catalog (in front of me) you can buy the 15 pullets for 36.30. Idk about their shipping fees.

3. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Arggg that's to many! Thanks though~ Haha I couldn't possibly keep that many chickens on my property~ I am only looking for 4 more at the most. Maybe I should just let my cockeral and hen have at it and just have our own baby chickies! LOL [​IMG] I don't know~ I was just planning on having 3 hens when I came home from Coleman's and now its looks to be 2 cockerals and a hen! I just have to sit back and laugh at these kinds of events!! [​IMG]

4. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    MyPetChicken is online and allows small order (3 or 4 chicks, I think) but I don't know how reliable their sexing is, as I've never used them. Also try craigslist, either for chicks for sale, or place an ad offering to split an online order with someone else who wants BO chicks. I think you're better off trying to find a local breeder and buying from them, even if it means making a drive.

5. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    The only problem with MyPetChicken is they charge 40? dollars extra on small orders because of the heating things they send with the chicks to keep them warm.

6. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    www.craigslist.com --- Go there every day until you see someone post a sweet little buff hen. I'm sure it wont take more than about a week to find the right bird.

7. KansasBoy

KansasBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Topeka
    Quote:You might find a local member in your area that has some! Maybe also try a wanted ad down in the "Buy ~ Sell ~ Auction" section of the forum!

8. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Ideal Hatchery allows small orders w/a modest "small order" fee, and shipping is reasonable, too (free here in Texas region). I've ordered from there quite a bit and have always been pleased with them. Just be prepared to rehome the "packing peanuts" if you don't want extra chicks, as any hatchery I've ever dealt with has sent them to make sure your ordered chicks stay warm.

9. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Post an ad on Craigslist, google for a local hatchery, or even your local flea market might have a breeder selling!!!

10. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:We used My pet chicken to get 6 hens and all were hens and all six lived, but it cost 65 bucks to get them to are house

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by