More info and Updates Roxy died. Sick chick ... where to get medicine

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by olivesmom, May 5, 2008.

1. olivesmom

olivesmom Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2008
    Roxy is the smallest of the three chicks we brought home THursday. She has become very tired today and has slept on and off all day long. I believe she is maybe a weak old. She has been breathing with her mouth open on and off today. I am beginning to think she might have a problem in her little lungs. The food she is eating has many vitamens in it but says nothing about medication. Will the feed store have medicine for her?

Thanks,
    Olive's Mom

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Is she eating? How do her poos look? If she's under a week old, it could very well be failure to thrive, which no med will help. See if a dab of sugar water perks her up before giving meds.

3. olivesmom

May 2, 2008
    She is eating but nowhere near as much as Rocco and Olive. I have been giving her extra water out of a dropper just to make sure she is getting enough. I have been trying to watch her poop but have been unsuccessful. I have checked for pastey butt and she seems to be fine. Honestly, I doubt that she has been awake for an hour in total time today but other than VERY sleepy she seems ok. She is TINY... faliure to thrive killls me because it seems to exactly what is happening. Can I do anything for her? I will try the sugar water ... how much sugar?
    Thanks,
    Charlotte
    Olive's Mom

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Check the brooder temp...she may be too hot. What bedding are you using? Make sure it is not cedar. Good luck. You can also give them baby vitamins...the liquid poly-visol. MissPrissy and some of the others can tell you how much to give.

5. olivesmom

May 2, 2008
    Roxy died last night. I am now worried about Olive. They are on Aspen. I specifically did not use Cedar because of the problems associated with it. The food they are eating has a lot of vitamens in it. I think they need medicine. Is the medicated starter food filled with vitamens or actually medicine?

Charlotte

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Sorry. Medicated food has medicine in it.

Give her some sugar in her water, (warm water). Also, give her some egg yolk (hard boiled).

You should give her a dose of Terramycin. 1 teaspoon per gallon for matenience, 2 teaspoons per gallon for treatment.

7. olivesmom

May 2, 2008
    Will the feed store have he Terramycin? Olive has no feathers or fluff on her behind. They were all missing the say after we got her. Her poop went from watery to kind of stringy and this mornng she has brown diarreah. I have over the past few days had to wash her vent because I was concerned that she had pastey butt. If she ha a bug with the Terramycin help? Roxy I think had a respitory problem based on how she was breathing last night. If she did is it possible that she would have passed it on? Will the Terramycin help with a cold?

Thanks,
    Charlotte

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:The Terramycin bag says that it will help a cold. The feed store will have terramycin, but I would call first just to make sure that they have it. I would def. treat her with Terramycin.

Forgot to add dose: 1 Teaspoon per gallon of water for matience, 2 teaspoon per gallon of water for treatment.

9. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I would not treat with antibiotics without knowing the cause of the illness.

Try Vitamin and Electolytes in the water for a perk up, but like Silkiechicken says, it is likely a failure to thrive.

10. olivesmom

May 2, 2008
    My nine year old was crushed to wake up and find the baby had died. We went to the feed store and they had the Terramycin. Mac also picked out a new chick ... this time he decided maybe going for the very tiniest baby was not a good choice. He still decided on a smaller breed but not a little tiny runt. We have added the Terramycin in the water and will watch to see how the other two go. They both seem to be a bit friskier with the addition of "Beginning" the new chick. She seems to be fiesty ... chirping very loud, scratching, and pecking at everything. Olive still had to rest after playing and is still having very inconsistant poops.

Thanks for your help. I will update as the next few day go.

Charlotte
    Olive's Mom

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by