1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

More info please on Blue laced gold wyandotte

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by The Red Rooster, Sep 18, 2012.

1. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

I saw a free add for a rooster in craigslist a couple days ago. I was in need of a good rooster, so I picked him up for free. The lady I got him from didn't know his breed. When I got him home I did some searching around to see if I could find what breed he was. I was guessing he was a cross.

Well, I came up with Blue laced golden Wyandotte. The picture looked exactly like him. I read that his breed is very rare. Is this true? Can someone give me more info on the breed?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JHorn91180

JHorn91180 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Northeast KY
    Honestly he just looks like a poor quality splash version of the BLRW. He will prob look a bit better once u get some weight on him. He is probably from a hatchery but is still a pretty roo. Good luck with him. Also please tell me he doesnt have respiratory issues and his beak isnt open like that all the time and he is not wheezing, gurgleing, sneezing or coughing. Always b careful when adding new birds to your flock.

3. BantyChickenLuv

BantyChickenLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon

x2

4. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Seeing pictures of other BLRW chickens made me wonder if he was hatchery.

No, I'm sure he doesn't have a respiratory problem. I had to chase him around to get those pictures. He seldom opens his mouth like that unless he has been chased pretty hard. He seems like a really healthy bird.

Thank you!

5. JHorn91180

JHorn91180 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Northeast KY
    Ok very good I was a lil worried for u. He looks like the ones u get from McMurry hatchery. They only had a small amount of them when they aquired the breed so to increase #s and profit they crossed them over to gold laced wyandottes and now pretend and mismarket them as BLRW's. I think they should change the name and call them what they r which is BLGW's. G standing for gold since there birds r not the deep mohogeny red of a pure BLRW.

6. EEchickens

EEchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by