more late chick advice, please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dufus, Jul 13, 2011.

1. dufus

dufus Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2011
    in another thread i asked about a chick that hatched 4-5 days behind a flock of 14, that are running around the yard. i put the new chick in a box in the house, and he is eating a tad of starter, and a little water. he hatched monday afternoon, and the first time i saw the other biddies was saturday, when momma hen had them out. now,,, would it be rational, good or bad,, to catch 3-4-5 of the yard biddies and put them in the house box with my new hatch??? then, after a few days, give them all back to momma hen??? it would give the little fellow some company, and maybe allow him to bond with other chicks???? what'cha think????? re-introduce the whole gang back to momma hen, with a mystery guest slipped in there.

2. dufus

dufus Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2011
    well,, i just tried putting ''OMEGA'' in with the momma hen and brood of chicks, in the yard. momma hen would have none of this tom-foolery, and pecked at him. she would flare her wings and charge him, and peck him lightly. some of the other 4-5 day old chicks also kinda pecked him. sooo, i brought him back in the house. i will let him rest awhile, and take him back out later, as it's pretty warm today, so he should be o.k., as the rest are. i really was hoping momma hen would take him, doesn't look like that's gonna happen. although,, i might try again later..... any suggestions,, words of wisdom?????

3. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't try it again until it is dark and the broody hen is on the nest with the rest of the chicks. Then try slipping the little guy under her and maybe by morning he will smell like the others and the broody can't count, so she might take him in.

4. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    I would raise him in a brooder box with a heat lamp... in the house at first & then introduce him to the flock very gradually once he's fully feathered. Once old enough to be outside, maybe a dog cage for a coop & small portable covered run embedded inside the larger run (small-holed fencing so larger chicks/hens/roosters can't reach through to him). Maybe take 1-2 other chicks inside to raise with him so he won't be alone. He'll be killed if left with the flock.[​IMG]

5. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Wait until very early morning when everyone is still fast asleep. Then add the chick very quickly under her.
    But if you have them running free, the new one won't be able to keep up and get around like the others. You might need to cage them up for a few days.

6. dufus

dufus Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2011
    my problem with this is that the hen ''disappeared'' about 4-5 weeks ago, and i thought she was gotten by some critter. [ i live in rural mississippi in the woods] she had gotten under the landing of my deck, squeezing in between the deck and steps. they all go back under there in the evening, so i have no access to her at night. i don't really get too concerned about coons or skunks, as i have a 110# dog that roams around at night, killing coons, possums and armadillos in the yard. at some point i'm gonna give 8-10 of the chicks to my deer hunting buddy, that lives within a few miles of me. the chicks are easy to catch, and sooner or later momma hen will abandon the chicks, and then i will put them all in the hen house and leave them locked in for a few days.

7. dufus

dufus Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2011
    i also wonder if it would help to catch 5-6 of the older chicks, and put them in the box with the late arrival, and then take them all back outside at once????? it would give the youngster some company, and acclimate him somewhat to a flock......

8. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If you do that, I think the broody will consider all of them aliens and will reject the whole bunch that you have had inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by