More meat spots than usual

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coffeenutdesign, Jan 31, 2013.

1. coffeenutdesign

coffeenutdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    Lately more and more of my eggs have meat spots in them. I did change their food to try the kind with extra Omega-3 (I'm not impressed) but I don't think that has anything to do with it. What can I do to avoid the meat spots. I hate selling eggs if they are going to look "iffy" to someone not used to them. I warn my customers that they might get a spot, but if half of them have spots that's more than a "might get one."

2. 12chickenlover3

12chickenlover3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    What is a meat spot??

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    There are two different spots you see on eggs: blood spots and meat spots. A blood spot is caused when a blood vessel ruptures during egg formation, and a meat spot is a similar accident in the oviduct. The meat spot looks like a small grayish-brown lump in the white, and a blood spot is a red spot on the yolk.

That being said, I'm not sure why coffeenutdesign is getting more meat spots lately. Are you girls getting older? Older hens have more meat spots in their eggs.

4. coffeenutdesign

coffeenutdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    Most of mine are less than a year old. I have 2 hens that are about a year and a half, but I can tell which are the eggs from one of them and those don't have the problems. I just pick the little spots out with a spoon because they look yucky, but customers might be put off by them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by