More mystery color silkies and one bad hair(feather) day

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Snozzle, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Ok so I picked up 3 silkie/sizzle chicks the other day. The older one is black I'm pretty sure, but I am still thinking she may be a double frizzle, though one of her parents was regular feathered as far as I know. She is about 2 weeks old and her new feathers are coming in strong, is that why she has bald patches? Just wondering about her, I have seen other sizzle baby pics and none looked nearly this rough. I love her though, pretty sure she is a hen and she will be super frizzly once she fills out.
    Now the 2 small guys that came with her I was told are splash and blue. I know the whole blue/splash gene deal is a bit unusual as far as normal genetic rules go, but I compared them to pics of other peeps and they don't look anything like it. I don't know my silkie colors well, so any input on what they may turn in to?
    Also how soon can you tell if they are frizzled? They are super cute and poofy, they are adorable and I really don't care what they are, I just am curious.

Frizznelda the bigger girl
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The darker one of the little ones

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The lighter one of the babies[​IMG][​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    It will be interesting to see what they look like when grown.

3. Danielle27

Danielle27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    Tucson
    I don't know what colors they are, but I do know that they are cute cute cute! I just got 2 white silkie chicks a weeks ago. They are the sweetest things!
    I'm interested to see what the others say about these guys.

4. NorthTexaschick

NorthTexaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Denton area
    Love the puffy cheeks on the lighter gray one!

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i cant really help on colors this early but i'm thinking your 1st one there might be a cockerel, it has a pretty big and wide comb for such a young age, wont trully know till s/he lays or crow though. as for frizziling you should know as soon as the first feathers come in as they will be curling if they are frizzled (sizzled).

6. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Well the reason the breeder and I both think that one is a hen is because of the personality. He/she is not much about cuddling or investigating things, but will absolutely mother the 2 babies and try to cover them with her scraggly little wings attempting to keep them warm. I know sometimes even roos act broody with silkies, but at 2 weeks old that's very early.

7. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Updates pics!
    Still not sure about these guys, but here are new pics, I still think the big one is a hen, but the light one acts rooish, the darker could be either.

Oldest and biggest chick. The super frizzly one
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Younger and slightly lighter chick
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The lightest one and friendliest
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  8. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    black and blue... the frizkie looks like a hen so far...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by