More new duck owner questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chicknmania, Dec 5, 2012.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    DW has been in quarantine with his three pullet friends for almost a month now. We are getting ready to release them this weekend. We won't be getting any new ducks til spring, and currently it's just him. I know the pullets will go off with the chickens, and I'm worried about DW. Will he be ok with no other duck friends til spring? Should we make him a special place to sleep?
    He won't be able to roost with the chooks, obviously. The barn floor is straw covered, but not deep straw. We close it up at night, to keep the flock safe. The chickens will be running around during the day, and he can mingle with them then, but I am worried that he might be lonely and/ or cold. Should we just keep him in a pen til spring? I will feel bad if we have to do that, too. :( We also have four peafowl, but they are probably too big for him to hang with...:/ The other alternative is to keep the pullets in a pen with him until spring, but that's not the greatest solution, either, since we bought the pullets to supplement our current hen population and try to keep the hen/ roo quota a little more fair...Still, I would be happy to do that if it will keep him happy. Plan is to get some young ducks in spring, when they are sold at the feedmill. We are already very attached to him..I knew this would happen..:)

2. rollkeeg877

rollkeeg877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    its fine to stick him with your chickens i have my runner ducks with my chickens, pheasants, pigeons, and quail and also a rabbit everybody gets along fine we let our ducks out in the day and put them back in at night hope this helps

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    So he's a drake? correct? i would not put him with pullets, drakes don't care whether it's another duck BUT if they try to mate with the chickens, it could kill them.

I keep my pullets away from my duck flock for this exact reason, as i own two drakes. I realize some do this but it's a risk even more so if he has no ducky girls.

Sadly, i don't know what to suggest, is another duck totally out of the question?

4. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    No, as I said, we plan on getting more ducks in the spring, and then they will probably all go down to the pond once the new ones are acclimated. But there's no point in doing that now. I was told it's a drake but I really don't know. How do you tell? He hasn't shown
    any sexual interest in the pullets so far. But I still want to know..will he sleep on the ground in the barn? Should I make an area with extra straw and hope he sleeps in it?

5. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I guess we'll just have to try and see how it goes. Like we do everything else. :) Everyone in our barn gets along fine too, even the barn cat mingles with the chickens, and bats them in the head (gently) if they try to steal her food. :)

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    What kind of duck is it? do you have pictures... gender differences vary by breed, some have voice, some feathers and in the case of the breed i own(Muscovy) it's all sizing. I would create an area on the floor the majority of ducks don't roost(again my breed being an exception as they do)

Getting along isn't really the issue it's when sexual maturity is reached, ducks and chickens are different and can cause damage to hens if bred by a drake.. even death. It's a caution to be taken under consideration. [​IMG]

7. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I'll tell you right now that he will not have an opportunity to try to breed with our older hens they will put him in his place in a heartbeat. [​IMG]They have put our cockerels,
    who are a lot bigger than they are, in their place MANY times. And if they don't, the roosters will. I'm not worried about that. The pullets will not have learned how to
    protect themselves yet, but they will, and I think the roosters and peafowl will take care of them until they do. If it DOES become an issue, we will deal with it then.

idk what kind of duck DW is, he's one of those irridescent black ducks. dont have any pictures yet.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like Cayuga, and he'll get the tell tail curled drake feather at the base of his back when older [​IMG]See the curled tail feathers thats a Drake.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  9. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    yes, thank you! About what age do they develop the tail? I'd say he's probably around three months old, just making a guess.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Since i have Muscovies and they don't get the curled feather, I'm just guessing it's probably between 3-4 months you'll start to see it. Others can deff weigh in on that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by