More newbie duck owner questions....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChanceRider, Aug 21, 2008.

1. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    My ducklings are about 2 weeks old. They're on starter crumbles and have been give just a couple of treats. Some finely chopped lettuce a couple of days ago, and today a little bit of plain, unsweetened yogurt.

1. Are treats okay at this age?
    2. Should they have grit? If so, how should they get it? Freechoice like their crumbles?
    3. How soon can they have a small, shallow "pool" for wallowing in?

LOL, and please feel free to answer any questions I didn't think to ask [​IMG].

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    They are probably old enough for these treats. I never give my ducks any grit. When they are grown and free range they probably get some of their own. As long as it is not deep enough for them to drown in it is fine.

3. ChanceRider

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Thanks Houndit. Because of the predators where we live, mtn lions, bobcats, coyotes, etc., (even in the daytime) they'll spend most of their time in a large covered run/coop combo. Since I don't work we'll have plenty of free range playtime though [​IMG].

4. Fast Chick

Fast Chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    I used a clean paint roller tray as my ducklings first pool. the slopign ramp is great for allowign them to enjoy without beign deep enough to drown in. It' was also real easy to clean. [​IMG]

5. chickiedoodle

chickiedoodle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    Hey there--
    I gave mine lettuce and grass clippings and yogurt from that age. I also give grit because mine live in a fenced pen/house thing all the time--because of those same predators. Someone from here also told me to give them some brewers yeast sprinkled on their food--which I did. They love to swim, but without their mother to oil their feathers, they can get waterlogged and drown until they are older and start oiling their own feathers--so stay with them when they are in the water.
    Lots of handling in the beginning will lead to tamer ducks later. Ours were good, then we had a family crisis, and now we are having to win them back again.
    With that many animals, it is not fair to say you don't work [​IMG]

6. ChanceRider

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Ooooh, I like the idea of a clean paint roller tray as their 1st "pool". Thanks for the suggestion Fast Chick.

chickiedoodle, you're quite astute... I don't work... well, aside from being an unpaid ranch hand [​IMG]. I'm lucky in that I do get to spend quite a bit of time with both the 5 week old chicks and the ducklings, along with the other "family" members. Hard to believe that a former city girl took to the country life so quickly. Hope things are better for you now and that you have more time to spend with your critters!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by