More newbie questions.... Going outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FluffyandGinger, Jul 26, 2013.

1. FluffyandGinger

FluffyandGinger In the Brooder

Jul 2, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    I hope you can help in giving me some advice, I'm so new to this ! I've been trying to read up on other posts...but its hard to find something exact to my situation.

Today was the first time that I walked into the house and could smell the chickens (7 weeks old in a couple of days) in their coop - so I think it's time for them to go outside. I think they look fully feathered... [​IMG]

We are in Sydney, in winter and it's getting to be about 8'C at the lowest, will they be ok?

Also - this is my coop, [​IMG]

do I shut the little slide door at the top of the ramp, or leave it open for them to get out in the morning into the run?

And should I leave food and water in the bedroom part if I'm closing the door to the run?

Thanks heaps !

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    At 6-7 weeks they should be o.k. outside. Have you been "weaning" them off the heat, i.e. exposed them to cooler temperatures and switched their heat lamp off yet? It is important to let them get used to cooler temperatures before letting them out, especially during winter. If you have done that you can start by putting them outside in the coop and run during the day and eventually in the coop at night. Close the door of the coop (nighttime predators) and make sure there is just enough openings to allow adequate ventilation, without allowing any cold draughts through the coop. The chicks will protest (loudly) at being left outside the first night or two, but keep an eye on them and check how they behave otherwise. If they dog pile in a corner they are too cold and you can bring them in at night for a few more days.

3. FluffyandGinger

FluffyandGinger In the Brooder

Jul 2, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks Sumi ! I have been turning the light off during the day and they don't sleep near the light at all at night, so I figured they'd be ok.

They are now outside and are freaking out a bit at being out there now that it's dark - they've been my feathered babies inside since we brought them home so maybe it's a rude shock for them. I've put extra sugar cane mulch in the coop part and shut the door. I hope they're ok in there for their first night!

I don't think I'll sleep very well tonight [​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    As long as they are warm enough and the coop is secure they will be fine, don't worry! [​IMG] The first night is always hard as the chicks are scared and confused and it's so hard to resist their cries, but they will get used to it. Just go have a peek at them later and see what they are doing and if they are warm enough. If possible, don't let them see you, or they will end up sleeping inside [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: