More of a What Color is this???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Billyj, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Billyj

Billyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    1st of all, I am not sure if this is the correct place for this question. However, my little hen hatched 5 eggs on the first (none of them hers). The father is a mille fleur d'uccle, (this I am sure of) and the mother is ennie, menie, miney, or moesha (all reddish-blackish chickens). Now on to the point. Of the 5 eggs that hatched, 2 were black, 2 were reddish, and 1 was grey. What color does a grey chick grow up to be. This is my 1st one, so I have nothing to go by. Even sillier question, would this be considered a self-blue. I have nbo idea and sorry for the stupid questions. Here is a picture of the chick. The father has the same coloring as the hen that hatched these chicks.

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help you can give me. I just love my grey chickie.

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    The grey is what is refered to as blue. Now I doupt that it will grow up to be just blue, but it's main coloration will is blue based.

A self blue is actually lavender in most breeds, which is a light blue color that breeds true. Lavender to Lavender gets you lavender, you don't have the splash and black like you do with the regular blue that can be a wide spectrum of blue. The genetics for blue and lavender are totally different.

Matt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by