1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

More pics added-My ducks-pics promised to PP!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Henrietta23, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Okay, I had one ready to go of the blue swedish pair. I have to get new ones of the khakis tomorrow. The female khaki just found her voice today! She's at least as loud as the blue female. I can hear them from my son's bus stop. [​IMG][​IMG]
    The blues are finally being not so nasty to the chickens so they've been allowed to free range when I'm home, which is a lot lately since I'm subbing and not many teachers are out this early in the year. It took them a week to figure out they could go in the little water garden pond. They are in heaven!! Much deeper than their kiddy pool. I love seeing their blue butts sticking up. They wandered back to their pen so I let the khakis out for an hour. They watched the blues in the pond all day but didn't go in it even though they were standing right near it. It will be interesting once we let them all out together. I don't think they're all going to fit! "Oh honey? Could you get your shovel......?"

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  2. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    They're looking great Kristin! Right now ours are using a kiddie pool because the little pond/stream next to our house dried up, but they're making do.

Here's my boy:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Aren't drake butts just the cutest thing??

4. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:They sure are! I love those curls [​IMG]

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    wow beautiful any eggs yet from either pair and how are the older chickens from ideal? and eggs at all yet? I am getting Blue and Black copper marans and more ameraucanas later on.

Henry

6. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:No duck eggs yet. [​IMG] Out of all 11 pullets I got this spring only one red star has started to lay. My old mutt Sasha just started laying again this week. Three with no shells but now they've got nice strong white shells. Seems she finally found the oyster shell? I think the other red star is close, comb grew a lot this week and it's almost as dark as her sister's. The black austrolorp's comb is starting to get a little bigger and darker. The dutch girls from Ideal seem to have a ways to go and so do the EEs and BOs. I think that's everybody. The khakis are just over 2 months now so I think it will be a while before Patricia lays.

7. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I let all four out today and watched them from the deck. With the whole backyard to explore Spotty is too busy to bother Pat much. Not a great picture because if I get any closer they walk away...
    [​IMG]

8. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    The khaki's look so big! I'll have to take some of ours today, the little one with the fluff is so funny to watch. When we first let them out all together my male blue swedish was trying to mate with all the babies, but I guess it's better then the silkies [​IMG]

9. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    what gorgeous pictures you've taken! [​IMG]

10. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Thanks! I'd love to have a much better camera. I just looked out and couldn't find Pat, my female Khaki. Looked a little closer, she was in the pond with the Blues!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by