More pics! Cochins, F1 mottled wyandottes , and BLR youngsters.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by encorepistol, Jun 16, 2010.

1. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Took some pics of the birds and rather than create multiple posts figured I'd just post them all in one. I didn't hatch many cochins from my bantam mottled birds but the ones that I did I have been happy with thus far. Had 2 blue mottled roos and kept the best and gave the other to a friend, but never hatched a blue mottled female. I am down to 4 F1 birds on my mottled wyandotte project but I kept the best 4 and will hatch lots this fall if able. I've also got 9 Juvenile BLR wyandottes From Jerry Foley that are growing well and color is awesome so far, no brassiness in the ones I plan to keep. I do have 3 splashes that will probably be sold but not sure yet. Any way here are pics.

My little buddy Blue
    [​IMG]

This years hatch
    [​IMG]

The whole gang
    [​IMG]

One of the F1 roos
    [​IMG]

The 2 F1 hens
    [​IMG]

3 of the BLR pullets
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Cool How old are your F1s now ? My 4 are still doing good, they are still young too but I am kinda thinking they may be all roos or one may be a pullet. But I have some young mottled cochins if I need to start over.

3. encorepistol

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Im thinking around 16 weeks old or so now. I hatched so many I didn't really keep track. I kept 5 other I thought were pullets that turned into roos on me so they wound up having to go also.Hopefully I'll be able to hatch plenty from these to get mottled chicks to cross with the new wyandottes and proceed with the project further. They are neat looking little birds already, I don't know why rose comb cochins weren't bred!!

4. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I know, I love those in the pics and they have really nice rose combs and pretty close to the wyandotte type other than the feathered leggs.

5. encorepistol

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Not bad for an F1. The tails need work and they are a little poofy to me but you gotta start somewhere!! I've got split lavander chicks Ausi/Orps that I'm gonna put chicks from them with the Large Fowl BLR next year and work on a Lav. Wyandotte. I've got lots of wanna dos just gotta have the time and space!! gotta build more cages already and I just had 24 rabbits born this week that are gonna need growing room in several weeks.

6. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:That is my problem exactly, too many wanna dos and not enough room or money for them all. And yep, I got a lav cochin roo and I'm gonna breed him to whatever black wyandotte pullets I hatch and work on my Lavender Wyandotte bantams, along with several others.

7. encorepistol

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Well by next spring I should have lots of black bantam wyandotte eggs to help you out if needed.. I'm curious to see what all you hatch out.

8. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Thanks Lets see how these eggs I have now go and if I need anymore blacks, I will let you know, the ones I have now, some are from black to black and some are from a black to white pairing which he said has been giving all blacks.

I'll let you know how they all go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by