More pics of my hens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by whatdacluck, Aug 14, 2010.

1. whatdacluck

whatdacluck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Co Wexford
    Could anyone tell me why some of my hens have a shorter upper beak than othere??? see photos.
    Some of my friends are like this also. The ones that have it are RIR strain.
    Thanks.
    Pat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

What beautiful photos!

How old were the hens when you got them? If they came from a production place could they have had their beaks trimmed before you got them? If not I'm guessing it is a genetic flaw, like a cross beak. As long as they seem to be eating okay (and they look like they are thriving!) I don't think it is a problem. Hopefully others with more experience will answer.

Melissa

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Great looking birds Pat.

You can tell they are well taken care of...

I'm looking for a feeder similar to yours only instead of rounded, boxed... I hear they waste less feed that way.

4. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    They had their beaks trimmed when they were chicks. Most of the production breeds have this done for the commercial egg business. Its to keep them from pecking eachother when they are in cramped conditions.

5. whatdacluck

whatdacluck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Co Wexford
    Thanks everyone for your help with my query, and indeed your kind comments on my photography (photography is another hobby of mine)

@ Melissa... I have them 11 days and the poultry farm said they were 19-20 week pullets.[​IMG]

@ Mahonri... I made that feeder myself yesterday. Cut a Wavin pipe in halves-- 2 half moon pieces of timber for the ends, glued and screwed-- 2 piecesof timber with half moon shape cut out for the stand, glued and screwed. bum bum... lovely feeder... for all to get at at once!![​IMG]

@ LindsayB... that sounds good to me as they were in a confined shed waiting to be sold:cool:

Pat

6. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats it right there. the farms "Trim" the beaks on started pullets since they are kept so close together, they dont want them pecking each other. Beautiful birds though!

Quote:

7. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] nice pictures!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by