More Pics of some Dipsey babies (3 weeks)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pbjmaker, Sep 6, 2008.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Here are just some of my cochins I hatched from Dipsey eggs. The one black? smooth one doesn't seem to be feathering out well [​IMG]

Any guesses for color on this one?

[​IMG]

Here is the wing up close:

[​IMG]

This is Jet - veryyyy frizzled

[​IMG]

A blue with faint barring:

[​IMG]

Another blue:

[​IMG]

And this is Buttons another black:

[​IMG]

Here is the one smooth one that barely has any feathers yet and his down is getting really thin:

[​IMG]

Now if you could talk to your hens about producing less roosters...

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    LOL- out of 8 only 1 I am definite is a pullet, 1 maybe, but the others are definitely roos
    [​IMG] and OMG your last one looks just like one of my frizzle ones, just smooth. I have to find my cord to charge my camera, I've been dying to post pics of them. I too am wondering why it isn't feathering out much.

Krista

3. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I'm looking at maybe 2 pullets out of 8 myself. BAH!

I have started giving them scrambled eggs - thought I read somewhere that it will help them feather better. But he is the ONLY one who is not getting in feathers.

Go find your cord - I want to see yours! [​IMG]

4. Oh my gosh, that's a lot of cuties!
    I've had that 'less rooster chicks' talk with the girls already --- didn't do any good.
    Not sure where that 'slow-feathering' came from. I've got several youngsters here that have the same issues. They do feather out eventually, but are prone to get picked at in the mean time. I just keep a can of blu-kote handy.
    The NN Frizzles are the slowest to feather I've ever seen. Poor Treasure is nearly grown and still has a naked back with just pin feathers.

[​IMG]
    Lisa

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Here are mine at six weeks.
    the first 6 are roos I think
    barred smooth roo
    [​IMG]
    blue smooth roo
    [​IMG]
    here's my slow growing one, I think it came from the NN egg (pointy)
    blue frizzle roo
    [​IMG]
    blue smooth roo
    [​IMG]
    blue roo
    [​IMG]
    blue frizzle roo
    [​IMG]
    this was the all yellow one, my one definite pullet [​IMG] and my favorite
    [​IMG]
    this one I am not sure roo or pullet?? help please?
    [​IMG]

Krista

6. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    That pullet is really pretty - where did the red come from in her feathers? My one that is colored white, blue, black is the one I am hoping is a pullet. I just love the color fade on her also.

YOur bottom one reminds me of Buttons whom I can't tell yet if she's a she or a he. I wonder if it's because there is so much black in their comb/beak it hides any red there. Funny thing is your unknown has that same kind of penguin type head as my buttons...

They sure are cute! Can't wait to see mine at 6 weeks! Right now they are pouting because they have to stay in the brooder today. It is raining and only 58 degrees out. No flight time for them [​IMG]

Jet is my one I'm sure is a girl. Those shoulder feathers on her now extend above her head - they are insanely long.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by